Replacing Damper Springs

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sebmoocj

Replacing Damper Springs

Post by sebmoocj »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but have just posted a blog entry here:

http://mrbrightsidesgardenshed.blogspo ... ment.html

where I've documented my first ever minor piano repair - replacing a damper spring. Thought this *might* be interesting to others, but would also welcome feedback in terms of whether I have the approach correct!

Cheers

S[/url]
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A Few things

Springs come graded sizes

On that type you can sometimes replace the spring without removing the flange on a DIY job much simpler in the long run

Did you come up a size on your replacement centre pin and how you did it you did not tell us

You did not tell your readers how the spring was held in place and how to you got it out and what you used to hold it in place

other that that well done

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sebmoocj

Post by sebmoocj »

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for taking a look - and thank you very much for the excellent feedback. When I get a bit more time later in the week I'll update the posting to reflect your comments.

Cheers
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Well I for one found it entertaning, especialy the bit where you didnt want to pay £ 25 an hour !!!!!!!!! :shock: for a tech to sort the piano properly. If your tech will call out to you for £25 an hour I would bite his arm off and have him rebuild the piano ( if hes any good).
But anyway very entertaning, I look forward to the next instalment. :twisted:
sebmoocj

Post by sebmoocj »

Hah - many thanks, glad you liked it. It's actually £20 a hour the last time I had him out, and don't get me wrong - the guy I used was extremely good and thorough. (Still intend to use him for tuning and more complicated jobs).

Cheers
vernon

Post by vernon »

If you've one broken damper spring you can bet the whole set is perished . It is wise to instal a new set.
You don't say where the damper was in the piano so you may have fitted the wrong gauge spring as, as Barrie points out, the set comprises 3 different strenghts, stronger towards the bass.
While it is possible to DIY many operations, one needs all the tools and a wide selection of the different felts , gauges of centre pins etc which all good technicians keep. Also an array of spares old and new ,some dating back to granpa
sebmoocj

Post by sebmoocj »

Hi Vernon,

That's a really good point - I used a medium gauge replacement spring, given that this was the damper on the C below middle C. I'm not sure whether this would be the correct gauge at this point in the action?

Do you use the heavier gauges towards the bass and the lighter ones towards the treble?

Cheers
vernon

Post by vernon »

you should get away with a medium spring there.
I think logic would dictate that the springs get heavier towards the bass
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

What gauge where!

Post by longbow »

An "average" set of graded Damper springs contain 30 Bass, 26 Middle & 16 Treble.