Books about pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Antz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Books about pianos

Post by Antz »

Openwood recently started a thread asking about technical books on the inner workings of pianos. In that line, I've recently acquired and read Arthur A Reblitz's "Piano Servicing, Tuning & Rebuilding". But this got me thinking thinking about other piano themed books I'd read, including these:

Fiction:
* The piano shop on the left bank, by Thad Carhart
* The piano tuner, by Daniel Mason
both, interestingly with a bit of a French flavour (Erards amongst others)

Non-fiction:
* Piano in the parlour, by John MacGibbon - a kind of social history of the role of pianos in NZ's short history

What have you been reading re pianos? And what would you recommend?
Anthony Cooke
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Books to read

Post by longbow »

There is a relatively new book out that is a rival to "Reblitz" titled "Upright & Grand Piano Repair" by Carl-Johan Forss. Not a very imaginative title but worth a read. Heckschers stock it.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Grand Obsession by Perri Knize is a lovely read on the quest to restore that perfect piano sound she fell in love with... bit flowery in places but a wonderful tour around the piano, the manufacturers and the whole tuning, voicing, regulating field.

Only annoying thing is it now leaves me wanting to experiment with different temperament tunings and ask my tuner to tune to EBVT !