Seeking advice on how much my piano is worth

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Richan

Seeking advice on how much my piano is worth

Post by Richan »

I have a J B Cramer & Co. upright piano, serial number 35574, which I am considering selling to help fund another (smaller) piano.

The piano is in reasonable condition (some knocks) and tune (although one key is duff - needs new wire); I am not a musician, so cannot tell you how well in tune it is.

One or two of the keys are chipped, but all are in place and work (i.e. go up and down).

We live in West Yorkshire, so the piano is UK-based.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Your piano was made c1900 shops sell them in good nick for about 900 in the North if it is an overstrung However, with out seeing your piano it is difficult to tell you what it is worth by the sound of it about 10 quid if you want the best price for it get in a local tuner in to tune it and fix any minor faults he/she will advise you before they start if it is worth tuning to sell it or skip it :(

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Richan

Seeking advice, etc..

Post by Richan »

Barrie,

Many thanks - I appreciate its difficult to provide more than basic advice on an unseen object. I'll do as you suggest and see where we go from there.

Would you have a recommendation for a piano tuner in the West Yorkshire area, or is it simply a matter of finding one out of the Yellow Pages? Are there any particular qualifications to look for?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

This guy is good but if he is too far away then look for MPTA or MIMI after their name

J. Gallagher
Leeds.
Tel: 01132 826420

Barie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page