FRAMES, VASES

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

FRAMES, VASES

Post by MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA »

hi to everyone.... upright pianos are usually "decorated" by putting photo frames, vases, figurines, etc. on top... and i know almost all upright piano owners do this stuff. my question is... can these objects affect the sound produced by the piano? and if so... how many percent is its effect on the piano sound?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Annoying rattles - leaks form vases come to mind

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

I had a photo frame on the old piano which buzzed sympathetically with a couple of notes, but it didn't get my sympathy so I removed it to another part of the room.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Generally with most uprights under 121cm a photo frame of medium size (say wedding or graduation) will have at least a 14% effect (in some cases as high as 18.5%). A smaller photo (cat, dog, tortoise etc) will have between 7%-9%.
Any vase will have a 33% effect. This is a constant and does not change due to atmospheric pressure or soundboard crown.

In the southern hemisphere these figures must be divided by a factor or 3.2 .
NEVER place a felt or embroidered cover over the keys as this will prematurely wear out the sharps by at least 14%!.

Be careful, however, of ANY statistic because it is believed at least 68.2% are either false or wildly inaccurate.
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

You speak much wisdom A440.

The effects of the photo frames and vases can be counteracted by painting the piano green and orange (or cerise and lime if its a Steinway). This will make it 100% louder.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Be sure to use gloss paint and prepare the surface thoroughly with a solution of nutmeg and metal.
Any brass fittings (hinges, page-holders etc) should be treated with lemon juice, this will also make the piano louder.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

This is a wind-up!!!!

Mace should be used, not nutmeg, jeeeez.
vernon

Post by vernon »

noises "in "pianos are generally caused by other things in the room. From experience, look at electric fires,obviously picture frames and anything loose even at the other side of the room. In older jos it can be a loose moulding on the top or bottom door which can reverberate depending on variations in the relative humidity ie some days and not others.
A very musical lady this week complained that her new piano had gone very mufled over-night. She had inadvertently locked the practice third pedal on. What should I charge?