steinway upright model V 1938.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

alastairbramley
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

steinway upright model V 1938.

Post by alastairbramley »

I have my eye on the following instrument: Steinway & Sons, model V circa 1938, 125 cms tall. The sale is by a restorer/shop who told me the cabinet has been modernised, probably in the 1950's as people wanted a modern look. The price is £4700. The dealer says if unsold soon they will fully rebuild the cabinet to it's original. This will increase the price. Dealer also has other more expensive Steinways fully rebuilt. Please advise on model V. Many thanks.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The V is a nice piano.

Modernised cases sap value, so the price is still steep. The dealer will find it extremely hard to sell at that price. Putting the case back to original if done nicely will enable the dealer to sell it, but it won't be a cheap process to do well.
alastairbramley
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Pianoman, Please can you tell me an idea of price with the cabinet in it's present state.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

I would have thought that a 1938 Model V has the potential to be a tremendous instrument. How drastic was the tinkering with the outside of the piano? Perhaps more importantly, what is the state of the strings and action?
If you were serious about it, you really need a Steinway expert to look it over for you. Where are you?
alastairbramley
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

I am based in London and the piano is in the north of England! The strings/hammers have been replaced said the restorer. Only the cabinet remains untouched. Can you advise an idea of price with cabinet as such?
alastairbramley
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

The only section of the cabinet to have been "tinkered with" is the piece above the keyboard. It was made to slant as opposed vertical. This apparently is what was sought after in the 50/60's. The photos of the instrument seem good. it is difficult to see the difference in wood used for the refurb.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

alastairbramley wrote:The strings/hammers have been replaced said the restorer.
I think you should ask three questions (if you haven't already):
1 When were they replaced?
2 Who did the work?
3 What strings/hammers were used? Genuine Steinway or other?

This will give some indications of the state of the piano, but I don't suppose anyone could answer the other questions without examining it.