Clicky notes

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Clicky notes

Post by Openwood »

My C3 was tuned last week and since then a few notes around middle C have started making a 'click' when they're released. The click isn't loud and it doesn't affect the feel of the keys when playing but, well, you know - I don't dig it.

It's loudest and most consistent on the E-natural nearest middle C, on other keys it's fainter and happens only intermittently.

There are radiators in the room but I try to keep the heat down fairly low. I was worried it may be a symptom of things drying out? I've noticed the piano hasn't held it's tuning so well since the tuner's visit, particularly in the bass end. It's a new piano, bought about this time last year, if that's relevant.

Any thoughts as to what the rubber b*ggery might be going on?
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Clicky note = loose hammer head, loose flange screw, loose balance hammer, loose action rail screw, loose standard screw, loose lever, loose damper head or flange, missing notch cushion felt.

...or a mouse with a clicker thing.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

On a C3, most likely to be a loose hammer rest rail. Very easily tightened if you can extract the action.

Wanna have a go? I'll talk you through it!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Wanna have a go? I'll talk you through it!
It's tempting to have a go but I have a long history of breaking expensive things in ways people never thought possible, so for that reason alone I think I'll give my tuner a call! Openwood? more like chickenwood....
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

if it is on release it could be a left tool or a pen slipped down the fall resting on the keys

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

As its only a year old its under guarantee. Ring the company you bought it from. If its a pencil in the action you get to pay...........unless they are understanding or if its an action problem they pay, thats what the guarantee is for. I wouldnt start poking about if it under guarantee as it may give a get out for any future problems.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Thanks chaps, I think I'll get my tuna to come and have a look at it. After all, it wasn't making the noise at all before he came. :shock:
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

Openwood, :oops: I didn't know I was yours, but it's so long since i've been to the Bailiwick, if you pay for my travel, i'm all yours! :lol:

If the clicks only started when the tuner had left, why not remove the fall (can be a little awkward to replace due to spring at bass end) and look if anything was left sitting on the keys.

You could end up with a new tuning fork!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

why not remove the fall (can be a little awkward to replace due to spring at bass end) and look if anything was left sitting on the keys.
You need to bear in mind that you're saying this to a man who has had to knock on the doors of not one, not two, but three different vicarages in order to hand back organ stops which have come off in his hand. I think I shouldn't tempt fate on this one....