First Piano : P121 ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Geof175
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

First Piano : P121 ?

Post by Geof175 »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

I am an adult beginner.

I bought a digital piano 2 years ago.

Now I am more confident in the fact that this "new" passion for the piano will last, I would like to buy a piano.

I had the opportunity to try a Yamaha P121 and a Yamaha U1 (first time I play on a recent/tuned piano). I have to say that to my ears, they sound very different. Especially in the higher tones, more clear sound on the U1.

Please note that I am not a musician and I don't know anything about pianos so the terms I use and descriptions I make are probably completely misused.

That's where I need your help.

As an example, can you help me to understand the differences between these 2 models ?

I liked the U1 sound much more, but I think that, as a beginner, I should not care about a "professional model" such as the U1.

Also, the U1 seems to sound louder than the P121 and think I it is a little too loud for my living room. I don't want my girlfriend to ask me to stop playing or play softer.

I know that it is difficult to give an advice on choosing a piano, because it is very subjective.

But on the other hand, I don't know anything about pianos, so every comments about the P121 are welcome ?

BTW :

- I'm mainly interested in playing well known rock, pop pieces, and maybe sometimes some classical music.
- I spent around 15 hours on my piano each week
- I would like to buy a new piano, not a second hand piano
- U1 is a little off budget

Any comments are welcome.

Best Regards.

PS : Sorry for my bad english.

Geoffrey
Big Bird
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Big Bird »

So there is your answer...the U1 is too expensive.

As for your girlfriend complaining about the noise....as long as the neighbours are not complaining about your girlfriend.

Game on!
Gustav Hagspiel 5'10" Burl Walnut Baby Grand Serial #: 980
Melbourne Australia
See it at: www.myspace.com/harryg73
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The P121 is a good compromise. The U1 can be made to sound just as meek and mild as the P121 you have seen, since a lot is down to voicing and preparation.

If you want new and can't afford a U1 then if the badge is important go for it. If you're prepared to put up with a similar instrument badged as a Kemble, (The P121 is made in Kemble's factory in the UK) a wider range of styles and finishes ia available to you.
Geof175
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Geof175 »

Thanks for your comments !

Big Bird, actually, I could afford an U1. But I think it is too expensive considering I am a beginner, and that I can't feel the subtle advantages of such an higher-end model.

But I don't want to regret this in a few years.

On the other hand, there is always a better model : U1 is better than P121, U3 is better than U1, YUS5 is better than U3, ...

That's why I need your comments on the P121. I think a good choice is not ONLY a matter of feeling after a few tests on two or three models.

I have no experience in playing on a piano (digital piano only), so I can't evaluate the different models.

As an example I didn't know that a piano could sound very differently according to the preparation, ... (thanks PianoGuy).

Actually, I was very surprised to hear such a difference between the two models as some posters say they cannot tell (or hardly) the difference.

Juste for your information, I also played a few minutes on :

- Yamaha B1 : Not "loud" enough
- Kawai K15 : Better but don't like the keyboard, can't explain why

Regards.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

I recently bought a new U1 and I must say that it's a great instrument to play - but it is much louder than my old piano, which was the same size.

The sound is quite bright compared to non-Yamahas, and my piano sounded much brighter in the showroom than when I got it home, into a room with thick carpeting.

Re the neighbours, you do need to consider that the U1 will probably be louder than you would play a digital, and so it might be worth thinking about the silent option if your budget will stretch, it probably adds about £800 to the price. I have the silent option and it's great for early morning and late night practising.

I also tried a Kawai, but found the keyboard extremely heavy with the silent option - after a few minutes playing my hands were aching. It did have a pleasant sound, thoug the bass was much louder than the Yamaha, which tended to make some early classical pieces a bit too "rumbly".
Geof175
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Geof175 »

Thanks for your help Grenache.

I'll try to explain what was so different between the two models.

With the U1, the higher notes were always very bright. I was always able to distinctively hear them even when playing them with heavy LH bass and with too much sustain.

With the P121, the higher notes were often "lost" in the lower notes and I was not able to hear them so distinctively.

This was especially noticeable as I am a beginner, not very comfortable with the sustain pedal or with delicate playing.

Don't know if you see what I mean, it's not easy to explain as I don't know much about music/piano.

Does that make sense to you ? Such a big difference between these two models ? Or is it just me ... Or maybe is it all about the preparation of the pianos ?

I'll give another try to the P121 within a few days, so any comments are welcome !

Best Regards.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi Geof175,

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, I found the same thing when I compared them too.

However, I tried them out in different shops with different accoustics.

I did compare the U1 and the Kawai K3 side-by-sde in the same shop, and would say that the Kawai was more mellow than the U1, but as I wanted the silent option, I chose the U1 because, as I said, the Kawai is very heavy with the silent option (due to the greater set-off of the hammers).

I played a range of different types of music, baroque, classical through to ragtime, and felt that the U1 was better for my needs.

Hope this help!

Best regards

G
Geof175
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Geof175 »

Hello,

Played on a Kawai K5 yesterday.

Once again, as I have no experience in playing on a piano (digital piano only), I was not able to make it sound properly.

With an experienced piano player it sounded great.

Some people tell me I must not buy a piano that I only find "OK" but only a piano that makes me say "Woaw".

But I think I won't find such a piano because I'm not skilled enough to make it sound correctly (even with pieces I'm used to play on my digital piano).

Anyway, any comments on the K5 ?
Geof175
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Geof175 »

Update ...

I Gave another try to the K5 today ... Didn't like the sound at all.

Then tried a K8 ... WOAW ...

But 8300£ ... Off budget ...
Geof175
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Geof175 »

Hi,

I finally bought the U1 (SN 623....).

I'm not a huge fan of the very bright sound of Yamaha but liked the action a lot. I'm very glad with it.

Please note that the U1 is far brighter in my living room than in the showrooms I played it. With the piano placed on a small carpet, it is better but still too bright. I'll wait a couple of months to see if I get used to the sound and if not maybe ask someone to voice it down.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Geof175 wrote:Hi,

I finally bought the U1 (SN 623....).

I'm not a huge fan of the very bright sound of Yamaha but liked the action a lot. I'm very glad with it.

Please note that the U1 is far brighter in my living room than in the showrooms I played it. With the piano placed on a small carpet, it is better but still too bright. I'll wait a couple of months to see if I get used to the sound and if not maybe ask someone to voice it down.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.
what's the tuning like quite often once a piano has been tuned the client is much happier with the sound of the piano

When your tuners comes to tune it aks them about the brightness of the piano after tuning play it for a few days or weeks if still not happy get the tuner to take it down a level or two. its better to have your tuner to make a few visits and take it down a lot unless your are rely confident on the sound you want

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi

Congratulations on buying the U1.

I found that it took a couple of months for the piano to settle in, and during that time two or three notes seemed to sound differently from the rest. The piano shop's tech voiced these ones and the sound is now even throughout . I also noted that the piano was perfectly in tune the day it arrived but went out of tune during the first three months.

However in my case, I feel that the U1 is less bright at home than in the shop, as I have a thick carpet and other stuff in the room, whereas the shop had a wooden floor.

I would suggest waiting a few months before deciding whether to have the piano voiced.