Buzzes are a pain

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Buzzes are a pain

Post by Grenache »

Hi,

I thought I'd start a new thread rather than hijack another! Openwood & Vernon mentioned buzzes are a pain.

I got a new upright a couple of months back; how much "settlling in" would you expect from a new piano?

There are two bass notes in the section where there are two copper-wound strings for each note, and there's a distinct buzz off two of them when played loudly. It sort of sounds like the winding on the string is not as tight as the others nearby. One was bad when the piano was delivered, the other just started recently - it this part of the piano "running in"?

Also another midlle trichord has a metallic buzz to it too - if it were a grand, I'd say there was a washer lying on the string.

I had a tech look at it, and although he confirmed the problem existed, he didn't know what was causing it, though he said that the piano had gone out of tune surprisingly quickly. I'm waiting on another tech to come and have a look.

Is it normal to have some slight buzzes off certain strings? My previous piano never had any variantion from note-to-note, apart from the pitch, obviously.

Thanks

G
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

If its a new piano its not your problem its the dealers. You paid good money for a good piano. Nothing else is acceptable. THATS WHY THE DEALER SHOULD MAKE A PROPER MARGIN. ( not shouting at you personaly but people in general). Then they wont feel a bit p****d off at having to supply and fit 2 strings to then tweek them up a couple of times as they will have made enough to cover it.
vernon

Post by vernon »

If it's new it sounds like loose windings. No first aid .get the dealer toinspect and rectify. no ifs or buts.
They won't "settle in"
When we sell pianos, they are carefully checked and tuned before sale and any faults found then. Then re-checked and tuned before delivery.
vernon
vernon

Post by vernon »

If it's new it sounds like loose windings. No first aid .get the dealer toinspect and rectify. no ifs or buts.
They won't "settle in"
When we sell pianos, they are carefully checked and tuned before sale and any faults found then. Then re-checked and tuned before delivery.
vernon
vernon

Post by vernon »

They won't "settle in"
vernon
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Is is is there there there an an an echo echo echo in in in here here here ???