Yamaha U3 soft pedal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Yamaha U3 soft pedal

Post by tuna »

Would any of you informed people know where I could get a replacement left pedal, (half-blow, soft) for a 1977 U3?
A school I tune at decided to get their caretakers to move their piano, and somehow they snapped the pedal. The break is on the grey alloy? part, and my expert welder, who boasted beforehand 'I can weld anything', just told me it can't be welded. He seems to think it is an alloy containing brass?
Any ideas? Either where I can get a replacement, or what type of metal are they made from?

Thanks!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Yamaha if it is not an import other than that. Fit full new set from one of the supply houses you will be able to get something close

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
tz steve
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by tz steve »

If its brass then it can be brazed, most metals can be either welded or brazed, if not then depending on where the break is you could use a chemical metal. loctite do a really good one called metal set a1(for alloys) or s1 for other ferrous metals, ,

steve
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Buy a new set from one of the supply companys. They arent that expensive and by the time youve mucked about repairing the old ones it would have been cheaper to fit new.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

The "grey alloy" is grey cast iron which can easily be brazed with a nickel-bearing fluxed rod. This won't work with a propane torch, it doesn't get hot enough. A welding shop should easily be able to repair it with a wire-fed TIG welder. In any case, remove the brass toe cap first as it would otherwise like get melted by accident. Moving accident are a leading cause of broken pedals.