Peter Smith & Sons Pianos?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Peter Smith & Sons Pianos?

Post by Len »

Hi all,

After the saga of trying out many small grands (see http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... ai+rx1+nsg); I am considering ordering the Kawai RX-1. One dealer that does a good price on it is Peter Smith & Sons Pianos, based in Scotland (www.petersmithpianos.co.uk). Given that I'm not going to Scotland any time soon, has anyone heard anything positive or negative about that dealer? They seem vey helpful and knowledgeable on the phone but I know very little about them otherwise. I know from a search of this forum that Barrie Heaton has mentioned them in the past as a source for Kawai and Yamaha pianos.

I know I would be taking a risk by ordering a piano I have not personally played, but I feel that is going to be OK with pianos like the Kawais or Yamahas which are built in Japanese factories, as long as they are prepped properly. I would never do this with say a refurbished Bechstein or a more expensive piano.

Many thanks to all.

Len
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi,

I visited them a few times last year when choosing an upright. I settled on a new Yam U1 with Silent option. As they didn't have one in stock, they ordered it, and I received it a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple of small problems, but they were happy to get a local tech to come and have a look and report back to them, as I'm not local either.

I'm happy with the service received, I spoke with both brothers (it's a family business) and both were really helpful.

I took a similar risk too - I played a standard U1 in the showroom and a different model with the silent option, and also a few other makes before making my choice.

The dealer has a small shop in the town and a larger showroom/warehouse on the edge of the town centre, and they helpfully gave me a lift between them so I could compare various models.

They preped the piano before being delivered, and overall I'm happy with it, and think I made the right choice.

The tech will come later this week re the small problems (two notes sounding very metallic).
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

Thanks Grenache - it is always good to hear from someone who has been to the physical premises. I have heard from Kawai that they are an "elite" dealer for Kawai so that is helpful too. At least I know I won't get a dodgy warranty.

I have just placed a deposit for an RX-1 today. GULP :lol: I cannot wait till delivery (which will take place only when some shelves in the room get put up, so not for a few weeks) and will let all know how I get on.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Len wrote: I cannot wait till delivery (which will take place only when some shelves in the room get put up, so not for a few weeks) and will let all know how I get on.
I would love to see them shelves that will take a RX-1 :shock:

Enjoy you new piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

Haha - very funny Barrie. Its a newly renovated living room and so I want to put up the wall shelves before having my precious new piano in there - in case I end up, oh, say dropping a hammer on the piano :D

I feel like Christmas is coming in a coupla' weeks. :D
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Len wrote:they are an "elite" dealer for Kawai so that is helpful too. At least I know I won't get a dodgy warranty.
I would like to think you wouldn get a dodgy guarantee from any Kawai dealer. I think the elite bit simply means they sell more, stock more and get more of a discount off list from Kawai.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Kawai " Elite" dealer means that they can lose the franchise if not up to scratch. They also have to keep a good range of models in stock
Loch Ness Pianos in Inverness are also elite dealers and are the oldest family piano dealers in Britain ( since 1825!). Good prices given. delivery anywhere
Vernon[