First-time piano buyer

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jjerusso

First-time piano buyer

Post by jjerusso »

Hello - I am a first-time piano buyer looking to buy a grand or baby grand for play by my daughter (age 5 and will be starting lessons) and myself (played a bit when I was younger but not for a long time). I am leaning toward purchasing a restored "vintage" piano (early 20th c or so) as I like the charm and character offered by an instrument that has been around longer than I have.

I would like the piano to have some level of investment value - in other words, I would like there to be some sort of market for it if I ever wanted to sell it and hopefully it would maintain its price.

I've found a Broadwood 6'4" or so grand that I like - fully restored but with original soundboard. Serial number around 47000. I like the look of it more than others - has an appealing uniqueness. It's being offered at $17,000 US and I have no way of knowing what it's worth.

Would you recommend Broadwood - a search of the forums shows mixed reviews and I am concerned that they are not as well known in the US and therefore may not hold their value as well. Is there a brand you would recommend more? Others I've looked at include Knabe, Mason & Hamlin (a bit pricey, but maybe worth it if it holds its value). For some reason the Japanese pianos don't appeal to me (although I could probably be persuaded to consider them). Steinways just seem a bit out of our price range ($10-20,000 USD).

I would so appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thank you.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Pianos wear out over time and require restoration after 30 -40 years depending on use. They are not investments.
Baby grands are best avoided, the bass strings are shorter than an upright and so do not sound as good. A grand usually has to be longer than 5 foot 8" to have longer bass strings than an upright.
Unless you really know what you are doing or have a tuner you really trust then buy a Yamaha grand C3. Sound boards go flat over time reducing the sound quality, albeit very slowly. Any restoration of an old piano needs to be done carefully and intelligently for which you will pay accordingly.

The forums on www.pianoworld.com may offer more appropriate advice as it is in your country