Consolette??? Help

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

music maker

Consolette??? Help

Post by music maker »

Hello to anyone brave enough to help a complete novice!!!!!!!!! My mum has decided it's time to sell her well loved piano as she has had to move home and has down sized. She feels that the piano no longer has a the space that it deserves and has reluctantly decided to sell. She asked me to see if i could find out abit about this unusual piano in hope that it would help her put a price tag on it. All I can say about it is that when she bought it she was told it was origanally desighned to go aboard a ship hense its compact size and it being an octave shorter than normall pianos!. It is very short in height and the only markings i can find on it is the word 'consolette' on the underside of the keys cover. I know nothing about pianos, as you may have guessed, but if someone could help me to find a I.D label etc it would be great. Ant info would be greatly recieved!!!! :? :?
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Kimball Consolette - Go Google image.

What I think of Kimball pianos:

Pfffttt.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

As for them being designed to go on a ship, yeah, the lot of 'em, on 'The Titanium', the one that hit a snag.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The good thing about these pianos is the size. They fit in flats and small houses well and as such, very easy to sell. They are not great instruments due to the length of the strings but I think they are cute. Get a tuner to come out and tune it, check it over and they will give you a price for which you can advertise it for.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It will appeal because of its size, not its sound. But the size of the houses they're throwing up these days, small pianos are at a premium far beyond their actual worth. When you advertise it, emphasise its size. Also the casework condition (and colour) if in good nick.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Kimball did make 'consolettes' , but not short keyboards. The term was not exclusive to Kimball. If it were a Kimball the badge would be on the lower right edge of the fallboard, not under it. Kimballs made in the last 50 years or so will have the serial number stamped in the wood plank over the backposts. Also the name will appear prominently on the iron frame.

Tom Tuner
music maker

Post by music maker »

:D Thanks to everyone who offered me 'constructive' help. it's much appreciated. As I explained I know nothing about piano's. As a piece of furniture this peice is in excellant condition, and mark free. It is in an unusual color wood that is a medium rose wood color. I have been told previously that it wouldn't be worth getting it tuned before selling as it will only need to be tuned once moved??????? I s this so????? I know that you lovely people on here deal with much grander and luxurious peices, but this piano is still precious to my mum and she is sad to have to sell. Thanks again for the help and understanding from the helpful folk! :lol: :oops: :lol:
vernon

consolette?

Post by vernon »

Barratt and Robinson made a 6 oct consolette. pre war with transfer name which is often polished off
vernon
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I am now the proud owner of a consolette in walnut sitting in my showroom :) Its very clean and I hope the crowds rushing to buy this piano becareful as I only have parking for 5 cars!