De-oiling action

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

De-oiling action

Post by Brumtuner »

Years ago, as a young'un, I used to amuse myself by doing things like pouring mercury from one hand to the other as my old man - a tuner/repairer, using Benzine or Carbon Tetrachloride in which to rinse the crud from oily flanges prior to recentring - all whilst he smoked a Capstan in an asbestos cigarette holder.

Now that we live in a nanny state, and these chemicals are now dangerous, can anyone recommend a good over-the-counter solvent (pref from a chemist/hardware shop) that would suffice?

He retired at 85 and snuffed it at 87 btw.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

VM&P naphtha or trichloroethelene (which is lots more expensive).
For the well-being of the piano action, kindly do this out-of-doors well away from any sources of combustion.

Tom Tuner
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: De-oiling action

Post by PianoGuy »

Brumtuner wrote:Years ago, as a young'un, I used to amuse myself by doing things like pouring mercury from one hand to the other as my old man - a tuner/repairer, using Benzine or Carbon Tetrachloride in which to rinse the crud from oily flanges prior to recentring - all whilst he smoked a Capstan in an asbestos cigarette holder.

Now that we live in a nanny state, and these chemicals are now dangerous, can anyone recommend a good over-the-counter solvent (pref from a chemist/hardware shop) that would suffice?

He retired at 85 and snuffed it at 87 btw.
Great stuff!

Did he know Openwood's gran perchance?
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

He said "no".

I'm a large medium.