yamaha U3 model changes

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

landcruiser

yamaha U3 model changes

Post by landcruiser »

please tell me about the model changes of the yamaha U3 which i have bought recently as used. my U3 is apparently manufactured around 1961 by its serial number but i noticed that the name "yamaha" in gold letters are inlayed at the upper right hand part at the front, not in the usual place immediately above or near the keys as found with most U3s...is there something special about my U3? its serial is 131971..the finish is glossy cherry color which i believe is used only quite recently than 1961..thanks...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nothing-special just old - manufactures do change things over time why not ask Yamaha why they changed it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
landcruiser

Post by landcruiser »

already did ask yamaha...they even said that my serial number was not listed for a U3....
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hmm don’t like the sound of that – did they make any other comments which Yamaha did you talk to

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
landcruiser

Post by landcruiser »

I think it is Yamaha USA that replied to me...telling me that two models used the serial number found on my U3, M216 made in 1980 and M405T manufactured in 1989, both are consoles however...they do not have record of a U3 with my serial...I bought the piano as second habd import from Japan...and it sounds marvelous...very much U3..i am planning to send you picture especially on the uniquely placed yamaha name on the right hand side
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

131971 would be more 1960 than 61 Did they make the U series then - You would be better taking to Yamaha Japan than US

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Barrie Heaton wrote:131971 would be more 1960 than 61 Did they make the U series then - You would be better taking to Yamaha Japan than US

Barrei,
The U1 has been around since the late 1920s......

PG