ernst kaps upright piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

millyjim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

ernst kaps upright piano

Post by millyjim »

any body have a ernst kaps upright piano - i have one built in 1865.- it is a prize winning model - won 2 prizes in 1875 and 1876.- it is an overstrung twelve bass - under damper with 2 brass candle stands.

would like to know if any other piano of this model exists and if wish to buy how much one would pay for it.

tkss
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: ernst kaps upright piano

Post by PianoGuy »

millyjim wrote:any body have a ernst kaps upright piano - i have one built in 1865.- it is a prize winning model - won 2 prizes in 1875 and 1876.- it is an overstrung twelve bass - under damper with 2 brass candle stands.

would like to know if any other piano of this model exists and if wish to buy how much one would pay for it.

tkss
It's not your particular piano that won the prizes you know!

It's probably a Panzer System Kaps of which thousands were made. they were very good pianos in their day, but times have moved on. A fully restored Kaps still makes for a fine piano, but you'll need to spend thousands on it to get a piano worth a fraction of the amount spent.

As for value, pay a good local tuner to check it over for you. Nobody can value a piano over the net unless it's brand new and unsold.
millyjim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

my ernst kaps piano

Post by millyjim »

dear

i think this particualar model or series model has won the prizes.

on the sound board it is stamped as "RITTERKREUZ. I.CI.v.ALBRECHTSORDEN FUR HERVORRAGENDE INDUSTRIELLE LEISFUNGEN. COMTHURKREUZ DES ORDENS ISABELLA LA CATHOLIQUE EHRENDIPLOM AUSSTELLUNG CRAZ - 1880

PRIZE MEDAL CENTENNIAL EXHIBITION - PHILADELPHIA -1876

PREIS MEDAILLE FUR KLEINE FLUGEL EXPOSWITION ST.JAGO -1875
--
so what do you think of it..
millyjim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

ernst kaps upright

Post by millyjim »

by the way how do you know that it is a panzer system kaps
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: my ernst kaps piano

Post by PianoGuy »

millyjim wrote:dear

i think this particualar model or series model has won the prizes.
Possibly a similar model, yes.

Take a look on the frame. "Panzer System" may well be printed on the top of it.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Take a look on the frame. "Panzer System" may well be printed on the top of it.
Is that where Hitler got the name from then?
:D
millyjim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

ernst kaps upright grand concert piano

Post by millyjim »

hi

to highlight further on my piano.- it is an upright grand concert piano, with an iron frame, elegantly crafted legs - with bass and treble strings crossing at the base of the piano. which makes the lenght of the string equal to a horizontal grand piano. mine is built abt 1886-1887.

what would a collector pay for a priceless antique piano such as this model....any ideas?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

PianoGuy wrote: As for value, pay a good local tuner to check it over for you. Nobody can value a piano over the net unless it's brand new and unsold.
Can you read?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ernst kaps upright grand concert piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

millyjim wrote:hi

which makes the lenght of the string equal to a horizontal grand piano. mine is built abt 1886-1887.

what would a collector pay for a priceless antique piano such as this model....any ideas?
Not old enough to be of any interest to a collector, if it is in very good condition you may get a drink out of it as a secondhand piano, as for trade buying it, most would want payment to take it away.

Why! supply and demand the world and his dog wants a Yamaha because that is all you read about on most forums unless you have 5k and up to spend and restoring pianos is not cheep so if a shop was interested they would need to get it cheep like £0.00 because they can buy cheep restored Yamahas from the far east with no extra out lay

Sad but that's life

If you are still not convinced do as PG said get a local tuner in.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
millyjim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by millyjim »

PianoGuy wrote:
PianoGuy wrote: As for value, pay a good local tuner to check it over for you. Nobody can value a piano over the net unless it's brand new and unsold.
Can you read?

sure, i read it...just to know if anybody here has an idea..

by the way i hv recvd offers upto gbp3500.00

so i wonder if i could press for more..
millyjim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: ernst kaps upright grand concert piano

Post by millyjim »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
millyjim wrote:hi

which makes the lenght of the string equal to a horizontal grand piano. mine is built abt 1886-1887.

Not old enough to be of any interest to a collector, if it is in very good condition you may get a drink out of it as a secondhand piano, as for trade buying it, most would want payment to take it away.

Why! supply and demand the world and his dog wants a Yamaha because that is all you read about on most forums unless you have 5k and up to spend and restoring pianos is not cheep so if a shop was interested they would need to get it cheep like £0.00 because they can buy cheep restored Yamahas from the far east with no extra out lay

Sad but that's life

If you are still not convinced do as PG said get a local tuner in.

Barrie,
i hv recvd offers upto gbp3500.00.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I suspect the offers will miraculously disappear if you accept.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

lol, how much?
where are these offers coming from then? It takes a long time for a message from Pluto to arrive.
I remember seeing a piano in Brighton. The man selling it looked like Arther Daily. It was in good condition on the outside but needed everything doing on the inside. I remember having a chuckle when he said that Christies in London had offered him £500 for it as it had medals on the frame. oh, really?
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

I've got this jar of vintage chutney to swap if you're interested.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Steady on, Jack; don't do anything reckless with that chutney that you might regret!
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

dam, you'v beaten my offer before I had a chance, I was going to offer my collection of furry peanuts from the seat in my van. looks like Im going to be stuck with this Steinway instead :(
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

millyjim wrote:
by the way i hv recvd offers upto gbp3500.00
...um, let me guess, that didn't include an amount to pay the buyers "shipper" did it? maybe from someone in "Amsterdam" with a curiously African use of grammar? :roll:
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

"excuse me thankyou, you have a looks good piano and I wish to offer you my greatest prize of money to purchase this great piano from you. Please cash my cheque for ££ and give me a cheque for the difference. I wish you happy day. I live not far from you but please send to Africa"

one of the hundreds of spam I get everyday. My server processes 200-300 spam emails a day. I still have to go through them once a week incase a customers email got cought by mistake. What a wonderful techno world we live in :)
Kelly renard

Post by Kelly renard »

Hallo ,i have a old Kaps piano from 1887 i like to Know the worth of it ,it's in pretty good condition
The serie number is 11034
JayMurdoch

Post by JayMurdoch »

Hi Kelly!
Kaps is an excellent make of piano, hard to give an exact worth of yours, as many factors would decide the value, but basically, if it’s in pristine condition and is playing beautifully etc, it’s worth thousands, 2000-5000 I would say, but if it’s not playing well and needs a lot of work inside and out (the inner actions and case too), then don’t despair or be swayed into thinking it’s worthless as many ‘modern minded’ people will try and tell you. It’s worth 500-1000 euros easily, since it’s be worth a lot if reconditioned. These old pianos by top makers are irreplaceable because they used materials such as 50-80 year curer wood to construct with for a start, and old cured wood carries the sound far better and sweeter than any new piano does. Then there’s the fact the keys are probably ebony topped, the black ones, and ivory topped for the white ones, both extremely rare to own in this current age! But even if the key tops have been replaced with synthetic materials, likely on such a quality instrument they will still be great. Anyway, just wanted to give you as much encouragement and good info on this make as possible here as I’ve got a Kaps also, from 1905, which I bought for 400 even though it was in a state, but 5 years later, in my spare time I’d taught myself how to repair pianos, bought new strings, (costs about 500 euros) fixed any broken parts and restored the case, and I can tell you it’s without doubt one of the finest pianos I’ve ever played and play it daily with a big grin on my face! So, hope this inspires you to see the value and potential in what you have in your hands there! All the best, Jay Murdoch