1977 Yamaha upright piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

elisek
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

1977 Yamaha upright piano

Post by elisek »

I am wondering about buying a 1997 Yamaha piano, but I can't find out which model it is... Or if the C in the serial number means the c-series?
The serial number is: C 2364643 and you can see the piano here:
http://www.finn.no/finn/viewimage?finnk ... Hovedbilde

Any idea how much it is worth? (I know that it is almost impossible to answer, but if in good condition? Had to ask...)

Grateful for all answers! Thanks!
Last edited by elisek on 03 Jan 2008, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kibby

Yamaha

Post by Bill Kibby »

I suppose this is technically history, but it's much too recent for my files...
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
elisek
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by elisek »

Gosh, I wrote 1997. I ment 1977! (maybe that is toö recent too...;) )
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Almost certain that the C is a suffix denoting those revolting cabriole legs, so it's Japanese, not a Chinese C-serial number.
Don't know what fashions are like in Finland, but in the UK they would devalue *any* piano! (Come to think of it, I remember a good proportion of Fazers so styled!)
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

According to the serial number, it's definitely from 1977 ( see http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product ... about.html ) and was made in Japan - Kemble didn't start building Yamaha pianos until 1987, US built pianos were never officially imported into Europe and would have a "T" or "U" prefix and Indonesia only build the cheaper, small Grand pianos.
elisek
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by elisek »

Thanks for answering! :) I very much appreciate it!

So the c is for the legs! I guess they are not very up to fashion, but as I grew up playing a piano with such legs (a schimmel my mum and dad still owns) and my limited money I care more about what's inside... ;)

So therefore I very much would like to know if it is not in the B-series - which is not so good I've come to understand, compared to the U-series. Is that not so?

Oh, and I am Norwegian by the way... ;)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

elisek wrote: Oh, and I am Norwegian by the way... ;)

Many apologies!

It was all the "FINN" stuff on the linked page that made me assume you were from Finland!

The piano in question should have the build quality of the U-series but not the tone depth since it's a smaller piano. The sound from it may well have the potential of beating that from a new b-series depending on its condition. The b-series are real budget instruments!
elisek
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by elisek »

PianoGuy wrote:

Many apologies!

It was all the "FINN" stuff on the linked page that made me assume you were from Finland!

The piano in question should have the build quality of the U-series but not the tone depth since it's a smaller piano. The sound from it may well have the potential of beating that from a new b-series depending on its condition. The b-series are real budget instruments!
No need to appologise! :-) Thanks for the information!
(finn means find in english by the way...;) )

So you think the model in the add is a B-series piano?

Why isn't the pianos series inscribed in the piano somewhere? Or is it?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

elisek wrote:
PianoGuy wrote:
So you think the model in the add is a B-series piano?

Why isn't the pianos series inscribed in the piano somewhere? Or is it?
No, it's too old to be a b-series, the oldest of which are only around 2 years old.

It's very difficult to determine an exact model from that photo, but it's likely to be a 118 cm high piano making it the equivalent of a current P118.

Thanks for the quick lesson in Norwegian btw!