Choice of new conservatory grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tony Ashforth

Choice of new conservatory grand

Post by Tony Ashforth »

I am looking to purchase a new grand piano to replace my c1900 Collard & Collard straight-strung cottage grand. I have narrowed my choice to a Yamaha C3 and a Boston Steinway 178. Apart from playing both models are there any general problems with either model that I should be aware of before making a choice? Even at this level buying a grand piano is a sizeable investment and obtaining independent advice is not easy as most parties have a vested interest.
With regard to various points on your website, I found that Chris Venables both offered the lowest price on Yamaha and were very helpful even though I indicated I was unlikely to buy from them.
I am also trying to sell my Collard..... any interest from members? Because of heavy discounts offered on most new pianos, trade prices on used pianos offered in part-exchange are very poor.
Any advice on Yamaha C3 v Boston Steinway would be much appreciated.
Tony Ashforth
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you like the Boston (made by Young Chang designed by S&S ) you may like to consider the Young Chang GS175

As to problems with the Yamaha and the Boston there are no big problems, I like the Bass on the Boston more that on the Yamaha but that is just personal preference. There ia the snob value you always get with a Boston the owner saying can you come and tune my “Boston Steinway” with the emphasis on the Steinway part :)

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tony Ashforth

New Conservatory Grand

Post by Tony Ashforth »

Thanks Barrie for your prompt reply.
I visited Coach House Pianos in Swansea last weekend to try both Yamaha C3 and Boston 178. No question that the Boston was favourite out of the 2 tried - and not just because of the Steinway connection! - although I feel the Steinway name will probably not harm second hand values.
The Boston had a much lighter touch than the Yamaha and (as you suggested) a fuller bass.I have now tried 2 different Bostons and found that in both cases they had a more intuitive feel than the Yamaha. I have not managed to find a Young Chang to try, but have decided to buy the Boston on the evidence of my own ears and the advice of my piano tuner and (most importantly) of "she who must be obeyed" who after all is the one who has to put up with the unholy row more than anyone else!
Tony Ashforth
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Conservatory Grand

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Tony Ashforth wrote: have decided to buy the Boston on the evidence of my own ears and the advice of my piano tuner and (most importantly) of "she who must be obeyed" who after all is the one who has to put up with the unholy row more than anyone else!
And she will be the one to dust it as well

Enjoy your new piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page