Buying a used piano- where to start help

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

barney1971

Buying a used piano- where to start help

Post by barney1971 »

Hi,
Have decieded to learn how to play the piano again at the grand old age of 35!!. Last played aged 14 at school. Would to get a second hand upright but have no idea where to start- type price etc. As i cannot play yet i cannot go and play any i like the look of so how can i know if its any good.!!

Any advice gratefully received.
Sylvi
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Ring a local tuner; s/he'll know what's for sale, and if they're on his/her round then you'll get a fair idea of condition, and also whether it's been tuned regularly/recently. If they don't know of any for sale, then ask their advice on which shops to go to; they'll know who are the rip-off merchants and who will give you a good deal. We can't really tell you how much to spend; Barrie's Oop North, where prices are far different to what I'm used to here Dahn Sarf, for instance!
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Look in Loot for Chappell, Daneman, Knight, Challen maybe, Rogers also. Mid 70s piano will be less worn than one from the mid 30s but there are some nice old pianos about. Overstrung and underdamped. Take a tuner you trust with you. Pianos wear out with use.
First piano I bought was a 1930 Chappell for £70, very nice case, action not too bad either. There are people who need to get rid of them quickly, so if you're quicker than a dealer you can get a good deal.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and Welmar. They made good pianos with a nice sound - but like the Knights, they get snapped up quickly!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill the Piano wrote:...and Welmar. They made good pianos with a nice sound - but like the Knights, they get snapped up quickly!
Careful now!

Welmars from 2001 onwards are *very* variable. Some are very good, but many are untuneable rubbish.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No, I was on about 70s- 80s ones. Tuned a newish Welmar today; lots of zingy overtones, and the top note just an unpleasant 'thwock'. :roll: Give me a 30 year old one anyday!
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I quite agree: I like the 1970s and 80s Welmars best but from the late 80s they were more variable. Got a customer with a 2001 Welmar it is lovely.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Melodytune wrote:I quite agree: I like the 1970s and 80s Welmars best but from the late 80s they were more variable. Got a customer with a 2001 Welmar it is lovely.
I have a customer with a 2002 and it's dreadful, but another with the same model and age and it's great!
The '70s and '80s ones were superb pianos in the main.

Lovely to see you back on here Melodytune!