Looking for piano key

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sharonv11

Looking for piano key

Post by sharonv11 »

Hello,

I have recently bought a second hand John Spencer piano.

I am wondering if it is possible to find the key that locks the piano lid.

I don't really know much about pianos, I have found this site and it looks greatI am hoping someone here may be able to advise me on where or if I can purchase the key.

The serial number of the piano is 53822 (I think)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you ask your tuner, s/he will be able to supply you with one to fit, as they're available from the piano parts suppliers and most tuners carry them. Especially in the skool holidays... :twisted:
sharonv11

Post by sharonv11 »

Thank you very much. I dont actually have a tuner yet, I have literally bought the piano two hours ago so that is my next job.

The lady I bought the piano from said it had just been tuned.

Thank you very much for your reply.
takenote

Post by takenote »

I don't know if this is any use to you, but there is a guy in America who regularly sells the standard tringular key on Ebay. There's one on at the moment;

[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UPRIGHT-PIANO-LOC ... dZViewItem

He dosn't quote postage to the UK but I'm sure it wouldn't be much.

Hope that helps,

Greg
sharonv11

Post by sharonv11 »

Fantastic, That is the right one. That has foiled my 2 year old! :P

Thank you very much.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you look under 'piano parts', I'm sure Heckschers or Fletcher & Newman would send you one, but I think there might be a minimum charge. A local locksmith might help; if you undo the screws either end of the lock, the whole thing pops out, and you could take it along to them.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Triangle keys (and square keys as well) haven't changed much in 150 years. The interior mechanism is slightly different but they still work the same way and are of essentially the same dimensions. Lacking a proper key, a very small screwdriver can be used to unlock it.
Keys should be readily available. Replacemnt locks are made in Germany these days, last I knew about.

Tom Tuner
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by longbow »

Hi Sharonv11
If you bring the lock to Heckschers for us to look at or you know which key you want, a few pennies in the charity box will get you a new key. Y ou can find their details on this site.