Buying a new piano - I need advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Buying a new piano - I need advice

Post by Tenor1 »

I have a Bluthner 1903 which has served my family faithfully for 96 years.

I would like to replace it but cannot afford a new Bluthner. I have upto £6700 to spend, preferably less! Looking for a 130cm ish I have heard the new bohemia pianos (with renner action) are v good - Can the forum recommend anything else?

Thanks
:D
Last edited by Tenor1 on 14 Jul 2007, 15:05, edited 3 times in total.
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Surley for that kind of money you'd go straight for a new Yamaha? There's a like at the top of the page.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You could have your Bluthner completely rebuilt; the pros are that it's far better (and hand!) built in comparison with many modern pianos, the con would be that you wouldn't know how it would sound until it were done. Just a thought...because I'm in the same boat, but my Bluthner is a bit younger than yours!
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

OK, this is the old old piano/new piano debate? Surely the action on an old piano will never be up to scratch, and it will always sound like an old piano?
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Bluthner

Post by A440 »

I'm tempted to say the answer is obvious (although admittedly expensive!).
Your old Bluthner lasted 96 years! Buy a new one, you know they are worth it. The 132cm model B upright is a superb instrument and you will thank yourself in years to come for not having compromised. In the same way you thank your grandparents for having made the right choice.
96 years!! Surely that's some reccomendation!
You could part ex your old one and get 0% finance on the new one to make it more affordable.
Try www.headingley-pianos.co.uk they are one of the few Bluthner dealers that take part ex.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Bluthner

Post by Tenor1 »

thank you A440 for your reply - although part of me agrees with you - I do not wish to get into debt, so my spending limit is fixed. very tempting though
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re Bluthner

Post by Tenor1 »

A440. I have been offered a Sommerfeld 5' 3" Baby grand a friend of my family has it. it is a lovely instrument but a little too large for my studio. have you heard of 'Sommerfeld' I am told it is German.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Good point well made.

Zimmermann should be on your shortlist.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re New Piano

Post by Tenor1 »

thanks everyone - done a bit of research I can get a Seiler Koncert 132 from germany for 6k brand new delivered, would cost 11k over here - only thing is I won't be able to try before I buy - although I have played Seilers in the past and i have been impressed.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Always always always try before you buy, and don't try to be too clever by buying abroad.

You may be lucky and save cash by buying in Germany, but you won't have a UK warranty and even 6K is a shedload of dosh to waste if you get it wrong.

Seilers plummet in value, so you'll not even recoup the 6K if you need to sell quickly. A forum member here who regularly corresponds with me is about to try one being offered at 4k, and the vendor's even having difficulty selling at that.
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

Slightly of topic, but still in Bluthner vein... I am about to try a new Bluthner 4, 6ft 10 at Bluthner in London. They come highly reccomended. Has anyone any experience of the new Bluthners, apparantly they are superb and not like the old dare I say slightly wooley toned instruments of old....

As for the situation above, I would certainly consider having your piano re built maybe even by Bluthner themselves, what it would cost I have no Idea but I am sure someone here can advise...alternatively try some Yamahas or Zimmermans...I would be very careful of the east german pianos, they do drop like stones financially and seem hard to sell...or why not have a look round the many Piano dealers and see what they have secondhand...Pianos are it seems very tricky to sell yet strangly easy to buy...

Good luck...

Pheonix
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re Rebuild

Post by Tenor1 »

My old Bluthner is a Straight Strung Over damper although you would not realise it when you play her - too costly to repair, money would be better being put towards a new one.

I have thought about a used one (refurbished) but you can't always guarantee that the replacements parts are of the same quality as the original parts.

A friend suggested a new W.Hoffmann any thoughts.
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

Hello,

I am not familiar with Hoffman pianos my guess is that it is probably east german or chinese...

I just took a peek at Chris Venables website, he has a Yamaha GB1 new and well within your budget at £5195 leaving you enough for a nice Tozer stool, hell you could have the concert duet stool with the change and they are very comfortable...not everyone likes the Yamaha Pianos and many here will give you far better advice than I can...I would however strongly advise against little known brands unless you recieve better and more experienced advise than I can give you. You must consider re-sale and though all Pianos depreciate, the bigger names do better in the long run. I strongly urge you to not buy over the internet you must play what you buy...you could save yourself a heap of trouble for the price of a train ticket or a tank full of petrol...

Hope this helps a little...have a peek at Chris Venables website...see what you think...you'll have to do a google search UK pages only, cant add a link here for you.

Good luck

Pheonix

And for what its worth I am not connected in anyway with messrs Venables or any other piano dealership or manufacturer...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Pheonix wrote: Hope this helps a little...have a peek at Chris Venables website...see what you think...you'll have to do a google search UK pages only, cant add a link here for you.

You only need to scroll down the page the is an ad for Chris Venables at the bottom of each page on the forum

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

Oh yes so there is...

there you go!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Pheonix wrote: I strongly urge you to not buy over the internet you must play what you buy...you could save yourself a heap of trouble for the price of a train ticket or a tank full of petrol...

Too right, so when you visit Chris Venables' showroom, or anybody else's for that matter, and you fall hopelessly in love with the piano you're playing, make a note of the serial number and say:

"I'd like that one please".
At which point the salesman may say,
"Certainly . We'll voice one fresh from the warehouse to sound and feel exactly like it"
To which you must reply,
" No thank you, kind sir. I won't give you my credit card details until that there serial number is written clearly on the receipt".

Otherwise, you may as well buy blind (deaf?) over the net.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

re new piano

Post by Tenor1 »

thank you all, much appreciated.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re Pianos

Post by Tenor1 »

I know the Yamaha U 3; and above uprights have a good reputation nowadays - I'm just not keen - played alot of them when I was at Music College in the 90's - might give them another go!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and DO try the new (and I emphasise NEW) Zimmermanns made under the auspices of Bechstein. They don't sound like Bechstein (a plus in my book, I'm afraid!) but to my mind they DO have the mellower warm sound of a Bluthner with added clarity. Bechstein have done for Zimmermann what Volkswagen did for Skoda; turned what was a badly made joke into a serious bit of kit. Yammies sound a bit sterile in comparison unless they've been very well prepped and voiced.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Piano

Post by Tenor1 »

May have a trip to Broughton Pianos - they have an excellent selection of nearly new and new pianos - anythoughts on Wilh. Steinbergs?

THANKS
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Wilh. Steinbergs are probably the cheapest-built German pianos. Made in a former East German factory, they are a great improvement on their Communist forbears, but by no means up there with Zimmermann. Imported by the people who bring in Brodmann, and once did Bosendorfer.

A bit too much use of metal framework in the casework can lead to rattles, so choose carefully.

Casework designs range from the tasteful to the foul.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Zimmermann

Post by Tenor1 »

Will have a look at new Zimmermans or maybe even tryat some nearly new othermakes - I'll only find out what I like if I try.

THANKS
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Tenor1 wrote:May have a trip to Broughton Pianos - they have an excellent selection of nearly new and new pianos - anythoughts on Wilh. Steinbergs?

THANKS

The keyboards on some of the Wilh. Steinbergs are much higher than other makes and can feel odd to play, the octave span is in the normal range 190mm. Tuning pins are very springy, some tuners don't like springy pins

keyboards
Yamaha Gb1 731 mm
S4 725
B1 723

Steinbergs 782mm

They do come badged in other names at a lot less price but you then have the old problem when you want to upgrade - What make !! never heard of it I will give you £10.00

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Did you try a Zimmermann, then?
Learning, but really enjoying!