Jobs within the Piano Industry

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Jobs within the Piano Industry

Post by Pheonix »

Hello,

I am hoping that some of the members here (UK) can possibly advise me.

I am looking to work within the Piano industry, in all probability in sales but preferably for one of the manufacturers as say a rep..

The Piano auction world is also a possibilty, I have over 20 years rostrum experience, but really anything to do with Pianos, music, instruments. I have scoured the web but there seems to be a closed shop within the industry and I just cannot find a way in or even a link to get me started.

My main strengths would have to be sales, I am a natural salesman, and am very good with people so if any of you have any suggestions I would be very grateful. Geographically I live in the south of England in Hampshire so that needs to be considered in the plan of attack.

Any thoughts would be very useful.

Thanks

Pheonix
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

Somebody must know someone or something, is it that much of a closed shop? I have searched the web, even searched the makers but the HR or sales depts contacts seem non existent...

C'mon help a person out here please...
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

It can be hard to get into the piano industry, and vacancies are rare, but have you tried local music shops etc.? Perhaps not much help but at least it would be a start if you could get work at a music shop or something like that.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

Thanks for that I will start looking round and get busy...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You may have one advantage or not hard to tell with nick names, but the piano sales side is very male dominated

Why! god knows

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I am SOOOOOOOOO tempted...but I shall rise above it! :wink:
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

I must confess I am not entirely certain whether the point illustrated above is as it sounds...Either it implies that If one is male and therefore being a male in a male dominated world...i.e.all the chaps sticking together would be advantageous.... or does it imply the possibility of being an almost lone female in a male dominated world therefore flirting with said and aforementioned male dominated enviroment which could be used to my advantage...it all depends on if I am...

(a) Male, one of the chaps, 8)

(b) female and prepared to court flirtation to aid my cause :oops:

but what about the possibility that I am

(c) a roaring whoopsie who can still court flirtation yet retain the upper hand..., it has been known... :o

now theres a conumdrum...cast your votes please do

Regards

Pheonix
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:I am SOOOOOOOOO tempted...but I shall rise above it! :wink:
Be tempted

But how many have you seen over the years on the piano floor
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

My advice would be to train as a technician, in ten years time there will be a real shortage. Here in Kent we are in short supply!!!!!!!!!!!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Do you really think there will be much of an industry left in 10 years' time? I think the discount boys will effectively have 'dumbed down' the state of the art for domestic pianos, so technicians will be less in demand. Some of the high-end and concert jobs will still be there for the few skilled people (and the alarming number of bullshitters) that currently hold those positions. Sales jobs will be poorly paid because there will be no profit for the dealer to pay staff.

Anybody entering the industry now would be well advised to learn a working command of Mandarin.
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

Yes I do, the trade has shrunk and will do so some more. The upright restoration business is now just down to stentimental work and the odd Steinway, Bluthner etc. But for me it is the grand work which is booming.
Until there is a good grand made under 5k, that business will always be there.
I must admit the Kawai grands are good, but so is a good rebuilt grand.
The news from the high street is not good with a very quite summer about to finish off one very big dealer (the third this year). But all of my trade customers have restorations booked many months in advance.
I have also been encouraged by the positive attitude show by a few of the students from Newark and London, they are the future and it looks better than it did.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote:
Anybody entering the industry now would be well advised to learn a working command of Mandarin.

They were saying that in the 80 but learn Japanese :roll:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

hammer man wrote: I have also been encouraged by the positive attitude show by a few of the students from Newark and London, they are the future and it looks better than it did.
the flood's have made quite a bit of work for some but that is only short term

As for new kids on the block we do need them and there has been an upturn in interest but the Gov is not helping by pulling funding - Ok if you want to do a degree in Football but not much help for vocational training

:sad: When I started to train there was a waiting list to train :sad:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page