black v wood upright piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

al12324

black v wood upright piano

Post by al12324 »

:?:

We are buying a piano and my husband and I have a dispute over colour. This is therefore maybe an interiors issue. He wants the black glossy Yamaha U1 and I do like this colour (very classy) but am thinking how this will go with our lounge. We do have a matt black stove fire which has black around the fireplace and a black wrought iron curtain pole so I do not think it would be totally out of place. I do also like it in the polyester woods but they only do it in mahogany and that is a bit too red. The colour suggested by the authors wife was open pore dark walnut (matt)which I too did like the look of. Has anybody seen the Yamaha in this finish and how does it look? From the photo on the website I thought this colour cheapened it, without having actually seen it, it is rather difficult to say. Apart from the dusting I still do think the black gloss looks tremendous. Does anyone else have the black one and how does it look in the home?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If he wants to buy a black one, let 'im polish it; they show fingerprints and dust like nobody's business, and if you chip a high gloss polyester finish it has to be repaired professionally to be perfect. Depends how well-behaved your family are! Amongst my customers who have new pianos, the black pianos far outnumber the wood finish ones, but a lot of that is due to the price.
The customer who has a walnut finish new piano has it next to teak furniture and it tones in quite well with that. Ultimately it's down to your taste - you wouldn't let us choose your wallpaper, would you?! Good luck!
al12324

Post by al12324 »

thanks for that. You already reinforced what I already knew and I did wonder about chipping. However, its ordered now (in black) hopefully it will look great and it will just have to get a bit dusty!!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The trick is to use anti static dusters, no spray polishes or creams at all as most contain silicon which dulls polyester over time if you get little sticky fingers then a burly damp cloth.

Enjoy your new piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page