New or Used Yamaha

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

al12324

New or Used Yamaha

Post by al12324 »

:?
We are in a quandry:

We planned to buy a secondand Yamaha U1 for about 2500 GBP (which seems to be the going rate for about 1970-80 vintage).

We found a good example at a local dealer who then offered us a brand new U1 for 3700 GBP.

Is is worth paying extra (even only 1200 GBP extra) for a new one?

We have been told older ones are better quality.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New or Used Yamaha

Post by Barrie Heaton »

al12324 wrote::?
We are in a quandry:

We planned to buy a secondand Yamaha U1 for about 2500 GBP (which seems to be the going rate for about 1970-80 vintage).
I have seen them cheaper but don’t get one older than 1975

al12324 wrote:We found a good example at a local dealer who then offered us a brand new U1 for 3700 GBP.

Is is worth paying extra (even only 1200 GBP extra) for a new one?

Yes you get the five years guarantee with a new one there is also the problem with grey market pianos Yamaha will not supply parts for them and pianos pre 1975 can and do have big problems their quality control sucked pre 1975 as well

Grey market pianos are second hand pianos imported form Japan second-hand pianos that were bought in the UK are fine as far as parts from Yamaha.

al12324 wrote: We have been told older ones are better quality.
I bet the person who told you that did not sell new ones Older Yamahas are not very good they only started to make reasonable pianos from the 70s that were exported Late 80s they started to get their act together big time and now they are at the top end of the mass produced pianos. Their S series of pianos are very good

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
al12324

NEW OR USED YAMAHA.

Post by al12324 »

:? Thank you for your reply. The dealer is a reputable one and does sell new Yamahas and encouraged us to buy the polished black if going for new as he said they were totally built in Japan. Our budget was &3000 including the stool and I suppose we could stretch to a new one (just) as there is not in the scheme of things that much in it. We did not write the serial number down but my husband sort of remembers. Do you think we should check the serial number ourselves? We have put down a deposit snd will definately be going for one or the other and could change our mind in the next few days. We have heard it said that the older one is made with more traditional materials but of course it is 25 years older. Would there be much difference in the tone not having played the new one.What would you do???
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEW OR USED YAMAHA.

Post by Barrie Heaton »

al12324 wrote::? Thank you for your reply. The dealer is a reputable one and does sell new Yamahas and encouraged us to buy the polished black if going for new as he said they were totally built in Japan.

Yes the black ones were but I think that has changed or is changing new polyester plant However, all the Yamaha pianos made in the UK use Yamaha parts except the bass strings they are made in the USA - the last time I was at the UK production plant they were very keen to point out that they were the most efficient and had a beat the Japanese factory for quality control for that year also the none black pianos are cheaper you can get Satin Natural Cherry 3,219.00 RRP 4,999.00
al12324 wrote::? Our budget was &3000 including the stool and I suppose we could stretch to a new one (just) as there is not in the scheme of things that much in it. We did not write the serial number down but my husband sort of remembers. Do you think we should check the serial number ourselves? We have put down a deposit snd will definately be going for one or the other and could change our mind in the next few days. We have heard it said that the older one is made with more traditional materials but of course it is 25 years older. Would there be much difference in the tone not having played the new one.What would you do???
The materials used 25 yeas ago are the same as today with the exception of the beam rail the main difference in the U1 then and the U1 now is better scaling and they are put together a lot better if it was my money I would go for the new one and my wife would say have the Open Pore Dark American Walnut rather than a black shiny one which if you are the one who dust them you know why.

As for tone that is a personal thing and can be altered to suit but it is better to buy a piano you like for start than get one you have to change

I would check the serial number see
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... .php?t=376

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
al12324

Post by al12324 »

Barrie,

Thanks very much for your help, especially late on a Sunday!

We are now thinking towards getting the new one because of value, peace of mind and kiddies finger protection with damped lid.

Im still keen on the black one (husband here). Now negotiating on dusting duties.

Regards
alasdair and karen