Yamaha v Kawai

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Yamaha v Kawai

Post by David B »

Anyone got an opinion on how a Kawai RX7 stacks up against a Yamaha C7?

Secondhand either is hard to come by, is this correct?

I really want a Steinway D, but I don't reckon the wife would be too pleased at me remortgaging the house :(
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Both equally as good, but chalk and cheese.

If you like one, you'll probably not like the other.
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

Dear piano friends,

Mr Larry Fine in "The Piano Book" gives a discreet preference to Kawai grand pianos. In recent years, Kawai pianos have shown an innovative technological spirit with the development of their new action, and tonally, they are generally more mellow and lyrical than their Yamaha counterparts.
Both makes I am sure are of similar quality and Yamaha has an excellent reputation for consistently stable, well made instruments.
Ultimately, it is a question of personal preference and the kind of sound and feel you prefer. Try as many samples of both makes as you can.

Kind regards,

RWAS
I love the piano and its music.
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

Ina previous job I regularly played a C3 in the same small recital room as an RX-3. My preference was for the RX-3 as the Yammie seemed too bright by comparison. For a while I then thought that I preferred Kawais to Yamahas, but I have since then discovered some extremely enjoyable C3s - and some slightly heavy and rather boring RX-3s.

Fairly recently I bought a Yammie and I am thrilled with it. There are days when I wonder if I would have preferred a Kawai - but then there are days when I wonder if I would prefer all sorts of different makes!

Try as many as you can of each.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sound wise I prefer the Kawai as its closer to what I like out of the box, to work on give me a Yamaha a more stable Grand the C7

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page