1974 Model D on Ebay UK

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

1974 Model D on Ebay UK

Post by Openwood »

Anyone seen it?

If we leave the perils of buying a piano on ebay aside for the moment and assume, just for argument's sake, that this is a well-maintained instrument that someone is selling on ebay for their own weird reasons:

The starting price is 35k. I don't think he's going to make that figure but I wonder if/when he'll realize this and subsequently how low he'll go. Interesting....
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Sorry, should've posted the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEINWAY-PIANO-MO ... dZViewItem

I expect there are better ways of posting a link, but I don't know 'em!

My friend and I got through four bottles of Merlot last night and nearly placed a joint bid on it just for the hell of it. Fortunately I fell asleep on the sofa before that nighmare scenario could be fulfilled....
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Two bottles of Merlot and you can still see to type? Respect! :shock:
Mind you, it wasn't a school night...
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

I have seen it advertised on another piano web site for the past few months, maybe he is getting desparate?

There is also a 1934 Bluthner baby grand starting bid 800 squids, no bidders yet. Described as good but not perfect.

In response to questions:
It is in his Mothers house who is too ill to allow people to view or play it.
He says he has answered all questions regarding its condition, which is to say there are some scratches on the case.
He refuses to answer further questions regarding the action saying he has answered all queries.
And the piano shop that tuned it say they have no room to buy it in although they value it at 2.5k to buy in.

So you do not know the condition of the action or strings, you can't see it or play it and the shop that tuned it will not buy it.

Reassuring.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Thanks for the info, Jack - what a scenario! I wonder what will happen to it eventually.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Openwood wrote:Thanks for the info, Jack - what a scenario! I wonder what will happen to it eventually.

Fire wood :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

How did he earn the name 'Rich...red'? Perhaps the 17 people who bought from him weren't as thorough as jackg in their research...
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

It's still there. He's extended the deadline.