DGX200 keyboard

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

binster

DGX200 keyboard

Post by binster »

Ive just had my first piano lesson and really enjoyed it and am going to continue to progress (hopefully) along the grades. I still haven't got a Piano/keyboard however, have seen the Yamaha DGX200 keyboard in the winter sales for 220 pounds, 76 Touch sensitive keys.

Can anyone give me any feedback about this keyboard.

Thanks in advance
magriggs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by magriggs »

The best thing that you can learn on is a half-decent upright piano. "Touch-sensitive" keys are a misnomer, as they will be nothing like a proper piano action.

You should be able to get to Associated Board Grade 2 on the DGX200, AB Grade 4/5 on a digital piano (Yamaha Clavinova, Roland HP-series, etc.) but you'll need a proper acoustic piano for AB grades 6-8, without a doubt.

It really depends on how far you want to go, and how much you can afford to spend. Buying the DGX200 will be better than buying nothing at all, but if you can afford to spend or save up a little more then do. You can rent an acoustic piano for between &30 and &50 a month, I think. That might be a better bet, since you can return it if you don't continue with your lessons.

Hope that helps.
dragontower

DGX-200

Post by dragontower »

Hi there...I for one got my DGX-200 for the holidays, and would not turn back on it now!!!
Piano vs DGX-200 : PIANO has an excellent sound that of course nothing else can compare to!
...BUT, can you compose a whole orchestra(bass/violin/synth...etc...) with a piano??? Well the answer is clear there!I've composed 5 new songs of my own as of late and I have what you can call the"musical ear".I was self though for many years on multiple instraments and was told that I sound like a pro. Yanni for exemple uses many of these such "digital piano's" and listen to his material!!!
So the question is not Piano vs DGX-200 but do you want to just play piano? Or do you want to be able to record your own thing!!!