broadwood semigrand date 1839

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Bill Kibby

Broadwood

Post by Bill Kibby »

You say "dated", do you mean that it actually has the date 1839 on it? I would have thought about 1842 for that number. Your tuner will be the person to advise you about the loose pins, and the normal method is a a larger pin. As for valuation, see my notes below, and Barrie's at the top of the forum. For more detail, press www and then "Valuation".
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have moved this post as it is not on topic for history

You say you have restored the piano do you mean you have had it done or in the process of doing it, if it can’t hold its tuning then you can’t say it has been restored.

As to the problem of the pins as Bill has pointed out normally you would change the pin to a larger size or pack, as the piano is c1842 it will have had square tuning pins if it still has the originals therefore coming up one size is a little more involved if youy wish to keep the piano looking as original as possible you will have to have a set made if there re only a few then packing with veneer can be done - if the pins have been replaced with modern ones recently and you are still having problems with just a few and they follow a pattern this could indicate a split plank.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

If the "restoration" was carried out recently, you could question the loose pina with the person or company who restore it.

The suggestions as above I couldn't add to except to advise that any work carried out to rectify the situation is likely to be expensive, get a local tuner to look at the piano for you and advise you accordingly.

Regards
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner