Ludwig Meister / Dietmann

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

andrew.roos

Ludwig Meister / Dietmann

Post by andrew.roos »

Hi

I'm buying my wife a piano for Christmas. I've been offered a "Ludwig Meister", which my wife has played and likes. I would like to know more about the make, and general impressions as to the quality and musicality of this piano.

I believe that "Ludwig Meister" was a brand name for pianos that were built in South Africa with Dietmann actions; or for Dietmann pianos assembled in South Africa (not sure which). This piano was built in the early 1960s. I believe that Dietmann had a factory in Wellington, South Africa, but I don't know whether Ludwig Meister pianos were assembled there.

The piano looks identical to the Dietmann model 116 - there's a picture of the Dietmann (not the Ludwig Meister) at http://www.dhd24.com/azl/index.php?anz_id=5933280.

I would be most grateful for any further information.

Many thanks
Andrew
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

They're OK, but rather lacklustre things built with a fair amount of English influence, usually having a Schwander action and keys mated to a frame constructed in a cheap sand-cast mould with lots of blow-holes and poor finish. Comparable to a lower quality British piano of the same age.

These days you can buy better, even in South Africa.
sdhietkamp@gmail.com

Re: Ludwig Meister / Dietmann

Post by sdhietkamp@gmail.com »

Someone is giving me one of these pianos. What do you think it would be worth?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ludwig Meister / Dietmann

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Like anything secondhand, it depends on the condition and if the buyer likes the 1930 style.

if the price is for insurance about 3K

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page