Double-Flood leaves my piano shop underwater (photos)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Double-Flood leaves my piano shop underwater (photos)

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

This past 14 days has been a testing time. United Utilities burst their main water pipe right outside my door not once, but twice in the space of 1 week.

The photos speak for themselves really so please see the below page for photos and the full story

Flooded Pianos - Photos and full story
http://www.markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/piano/press

Hopefully there won't be a third flood any time soon!!
Regards,
Mark
Last edited by MarkGoodwinPianos on 04 Nov 2006, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sorry to see that Mark what a time of year for it to happen as well. CP had the same fate this year but a least there’s was in the summer in a quiet time, they have come quite well with there los of income insurance his was a river flood.

I trust you are well insured as the water board are very, very slow at paying. A friend who had a computer shop waited 3 years before he got money out of them as he did not have loss of income insurance just stock.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hi Barrie,
At the moment the loss of income is being covered by the united utilities insurance people. I've met with their loss adjustor a couple of times already and he is talking about swift payments for the loss of stock and then we need to calculate a loss of earnings based on my previous years' performance etc.

But if they start getting difficult over it I'll have to bring in my own loss adjuster to fight my case for me. At the moment I'm trusting that their claims procedures are as swift as what they are telling me.

But thanks for the warning Barrie.
I knew about the CP flood yes because the man who is dealing with my claim also dealt with their claim. Apparently they had an independent piano expert to help them put a replacement value on the stock.

Mark
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Apparently they had an independent piano expert to help them put a replacement value on the stock.

Mark
That makes a change. Usually they send staff who haven't a clue.

I must say I'd not mess with Mark Goodwin. If that's 3ft of floodwater he's standing in, he must be around 9ft tall. Jeff Wode.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

If that's 3ft of floodwater he's standing in, he must be around 9ft tall.
Nice try Jeff :) but the ground near the gates where I'm stood is about 1ft higher than my front door AND THEN the floor of my showroom is a further 2ft below the front door level. So actually, given enough time, the water level in my showroom could have been around 5ft deep. Thankfully the water was turned off after about an hour allowing it to drain down the toilet to around 1.5ft deep and then we sucked the rest out of the window using garden pond pump (took around 5 hours to pump out).
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Mark,

How dreadful. :shock: What happened to the pianos? did they go to the tip, or was something salvagable? OK, maybe you can't answer that for legal reasons, but what does one do with a piano for whom all hope is lost?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

David B wrote:but what does one do with a piano for whom all hope is lost?
Er...

Take it down the tip.