Opinion on Yamaha P121NT, U1N, SU118C, Kemble K121CL, K121 M

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Yetty
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Opinion on Yamaha P121NT, U1N, SU118C, Kemble K121CL, K121 M

Post by Yetty »

Hi, I would like to buy a new upright piano. I've read previous posts with interest and have become interested in the following pianos:

Yamaha P121NT
Kemble K121CL
Kemble K121 Mozart
Yamaha U1N
Yamaha SU118C

Have you tried these instruments and how did they differ? Did the more expensive instruments 'blow you away' or were the differences rather subtle! Are they worth the extra money?

(I live several hours travel from any large piano store and I would like to understand the differences better before trying out the pianos.)

Many thanks, ':)'
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The Yamaha and Kemble models you list are basically the same, being variants of the definitive U1. I have an idea that the SU118 also uses the same frame, and is only shorter than the others (118cm vs 121cm) by dint of the fact that for some reason Yamaha forgot to fit castors. Ironic, since it's the priciest of the bunch.

The huge difference is that all the models apart from the SU118 are British made, and the SU118 is Japanese made and from the very expensive handbuilt range.

All of them are pretty decent pianos. I can't see the point of the Mozart; the 121Cons has the best casework and build; the P121 has the flimsiest, the U1N ain't as good as a Jap U1 and the SU121 is as I've mentioned, expensive.

All differences are subtle, but I'd buy a standard Jap U1 (strangely missing from your list) rather than any of them. In black of course. The American walnut is cack.

If cost were no object I'd go for the SU118, and if elegance of appearance was a priority I'd go for the Cons. If you're tight on cash go for the P121 and go for the Mozart only if you want a free teddy bear. There's no point in considering a U1N.

IMPORTANT!
Go find some and play them all. The one you like best is the one for you, no matter which 'expert' advises you on which he thinks is the best. And that includes this one.
chris_connelly

Post by chris_connelly »

. . . .
Last edited by chris_connelly on 05 Apr 2024, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Good point well made.

Whatever model you decide upon, make sure that the one you try and like is the one you get. Don't accept a 'similar' one from the warehouse or factory. Make a note of the serial number at the time you buy and have the dealer write that number on the sales paperwork.

It's worth mentioning that since all the pianos you've shortlisted are conceptionally identical, try and sample a few of the same model. There may be a P121 that sounds as good to you as a U1 or Conservatory, in which case save the cash and buy the P121, whereas the next P121 may sound like a bag of nails. Preparation of individual pianos by the factory or dealer can make more difference than the minutiae of specification when the choice of model is as similar as these.
Yetty
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Yetty »

Thanks Piano Guy and Chris. The U1 (Jap) and Kemble K121CL seem good bets, and I will definitely keep an open mind when the time comes for some side by side comparisons – no point over spending!

At this stage all comments are much appreciated. I wonder if any buyers have played differing instruments ‘blindfolded’ and been surprised!

Re purchasing actual showroom instruments, rather sensible advice really. Wearing my cynical hat, I bet many showrooms are reluctant to do this because it’s more hassle than shifting boxes. I can just imagine hearing “ oh sir, we’ll prep one just like this for you where we have all the packing to protect it on the long journey to your home, suit you sir”! Apologies offered now if proven wrong!

More seriously, re the U3: Would a piano the size of an U3S provide too much ‘oomph’ in a lounge measuring 13’ x 18’ ? (As a reference, the piano to be replaced is a Challen baby grand which sounds just fine to my untrained ear [domestic pressure for space…], highish ceiling, suspended wood floorboards with rug covering.)

If U3S size considered reasonable, then do the larger instruments generally give a superior experience for the extra cash + size? I think the Kemble equivalent is the K131 model (plus it’s available in non ‘in your face’ black finishes. Any thoughts how the U3S and K131 compare?

Thanks again!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Yetty wrote:
Re purchasing actual showroom instruments, rather sensible advice really. Wearing my cynical hat, I bet many showrooms are reluctant to do this because it?s more hassle than shifting boxes. I can just imagine hearing ? oh sir, we?ll prep one just like this for you where we have all the packing to protect it on the long journey to your home, suit you sir?! Apologies offered now if proven wrong!

At last!!
Someone who understands!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Yetty wrote: Re purchasing actual showroom instruments, rather sensible advice really. Wearing my cynical hat, I bet many showrooms are reluctant to do this because it’s more hassle than shifting boxes. I can just imagine hearing “ oh sir, we’ll prep one just like this for you where we have all the packing to protect it on the long journey to your home, suit you sir”! Apologies offered now if proven wrong!
In most cases what you see on the shop floor is what you get, small retailers can’t afford to stock reserves.

However, one large retailer in Manchester sold a new piano to what was thought to be an enlightened client, delved the piano off the shop floor. Only to get a call to say that they had sent her a shop solid piano and she required a new one still in its box. This ended up in court and the shop lost. They had to send her a new with the packing still on it and pay compensation.

To us that beggars belief but to some it’s just like buying a new fridge.

On the Mozart piano there will only be 200 of them made and extra time is allowed on them in production, they are a very nice piano.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Barrie Heaton wrote: However, one large retailer in Manchester sold a new piano to what was thought to be an enlightened client, delved the piano off the shop floor. Only to get a call to say that they had sent her a shop soiled piano and she required a new one still in its box. This ended up in court and the shop lost. They had to send her a new with the packing still on it and pay compensation.

To us that beggars belief but to some it?s just like buying a new fridge.

D'oh!

I think I'll resign.......