Advice wanted on piano makes

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

S.Budden

Advice wanted on piano makes

Post by S.Budden »

I am in the market for an upright piano for myself and my seven year old daughter. We are wondering about a Yamaha U1 (secondhand) or trying to find a good second-hand German model - Bechstein, Steinway, etc.

We've been advised by my daughter's teacher to get as tall an upright as possible. I'd like to know which models tend to be tall, as people often don't put the piano's height in adverts. I presume other things - like whether they stay in tune or not (!) are rather important too.

I've seen an ad for a Weinbach 104 Chippendale (white upright) for ?1,200. Does that sound worth investigating?

Also attracted to the idea of an English piano - I am told they are mellower in sound than say a Yamaha. Saw an ad for an overstrung Welmar for ?1000 - again, worth investigating?

Sorry for so many questions - I'm floundering in the dark here really!

Thanks very much. This seems a very useful site.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice wanted on piano makes

Post by Barrie Heaton »

S.Budden wrote:I am in the market for an upright piano for myself and my seven year old daughter. We are wondering about a Yamaha U1 (secondhand) or trying to find a good second-hand German model - Bechstein, Steinway, etc.
The U1 is not in the same league as the Bechstein different sound altogether Steinway c1920s uprights are a little over rated in may book and the double flange is a pain even there own tuners hate working on them if they have to replace the double flange.

new:
Height you are looking at 120 cm upwards quite a U5 is nice when toned down Schimmel 125 series are very nice if you like the European softer sound The Kemble K121ZT Piano is very good value for money and has had some very good reviews

S.Budden wrote: We've been advised by my daughter's teacher to get as tall an upright as possible. I'd like to know which models tend to be tall, as people often don't put the piano's height in adverts. I presume other things - like whether they stay in tune or not (!) are rather important too.
Height you are looking at 120 cm upwards However, when buying a second-hand piano it is best to get your music teacher piano tuner to look at it first even when buying for a shop
S.Budden wrote: I've seen an ad for a Weinbach 104 Chippendale (white upright) for ?1,200. Does that sound worth investigating?.
Sound a bit expensive to me but what are we taking about ponds, dollars, euros ect... you have not put in your profile where you are form
S.Budden wrote: Also attracted to the idea of an English piano - I am told they are mellower in sound than say a Yamaha. Saw an ad for an overstrung Welmar for ?1000 - again, worth investigating?.
Welmars are nice pianos However, ones made in the 70s had plastic bushing and floating centres they are starting to cause problems there 1950 pianos are very nice indeed. However, A tuner need to look at the piano before you buy but as a make they are on the whole nice pianos exceptions are the one made at Woodchesters (2001 to 2003) they were not as good as the one made in London

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
S.Budden

Thanks

Post by S.Budden »

Thanks - I'm really very grateful to you for that full response. I live in the Watford, Hertfordshire, area so the prices were in pounds. I think the new pianos you mention are out of my price range - which is ?2000 tops, including delivery and tune. If you are moved to add any further ideas in view of the price constraint, I'd be very happy to hear them.
I'm making enquiries about the Welmar.
I do know where I could get a Yamaha U1D in my price range. But you think it is not worth bothering with?
I do need something that will hold its value, as the money is a gift to my daughter, and I have to convince the donor that a piano will be a good investment!
Does anyone know a good piano shop I could go to in striking distance of Watford or in the London area where I could see a good range of new and used pianos in my price range?
Thanks again. This is a brilliantly helpful site.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

With a budget of 2000 pounds you are better going for a second-hand pianos rather than a new one down south, that 2000 would get you more in the north of England than the south but you then have the cost of moving it.

A private buy should get a better piano for you money but you will need to shop and you are shopping at the wrong time of year July August is the best time to buy Nov Dec is the best time to sell.

Marksons in London have a good range of second hand pianos and I believe they sell off ex hire pianos form time to time.

Talk to a few local piano tuners see if any of their clients are selling or upgrading they will have the history of the piano avoid the tuners who buy and sell as they are more likely to sell one of their own rather than pass you on to a client.

Yamahas like all pianos do keep there value some keep it better than others The U1 is a nice piano However, DO NOT buy a pre 1975 as they tend to have problems with loos tuning pins and other problems. Pre 1970 Yamaha did not take the moisture level down in the wood they used, as it was not necessary for the home market. They soon found out in the UK and the US the dry homes dried out the pianos and big problems occurred, not so with one today as they are seasoned or made in the UK.

You could put an add in the pianos wanted quite a few dealers monitor that page or look in the trade section you will find that quite a few pianos near your price rage and some with a 5 year guarantee.
Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
S.Budden

Now looking at Welmar

Post by S.Budden »

Hello again. Thanks for all that great advice.

I've played/listened to a couple of Yamahas now, and find them a bit too bright and harsh sounding. Today I saw a friend's Welmar, and I really liked its depth of sound. I'm thinking of travelling to see one for sale at 1000 pounds sterling... (I could invest the other ?1000 I don't spend!) The seller has been told that the style suggests it is a c. 1950's model. It is 88 keys, 121cm high, overstrung piano. I've seen a photo and it looks like dark mahogony in a traditional shaped case. They tell me it is regularly tuned.

Stupid question maybe - it is on castors - is this a good thing or not? Also - in the photo it looks as though it is kept next to a radiator. I'm hoping the radiator is not on, but if I find it is, does that necessarily make it a no-no?

Could I email a photo of it to someone...? (Could you tell anything from a photo about when it was made?)

Thanks again.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Welmar made some nice pianos in the 50s I have a few on my round, the radiator could be a problem. Ask them when they last has it tuned and who was the tuner get their number and give them a call ask about the tuning history and has the piano got good solid tuning pins.

A close up photo can tell us a bit about the action, However, it can’t tell us about the condition of the tuning pins or the soundboard you need on site inspection for that

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
S.Budden

Post by S.Budden »

Hi - I'll try and get hold of their tuner. I just, as it happens, spoke to another tuner, who thought it sounded overpriced if it wasn't reconditioned. He said "with a piano that old if it hasn't been reconditioned then it could be coming up to the time it will need to be, which would be expensive..." Is that necessarily the case?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Yes that can be the case, all depends on use and how well the piano has been looked after, that is why an inspection is needed.

I have one on my round the only thing besides tuning that has been done to in the last 15 years that I have been tuning it is the hammers were refaced about 7 year’s ago, but I also have a late 60s one which need a shed full of money spending on it.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page