What Baby Grand ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ianccam

What Baby Grand ?

Post by ianccam »

Can someone give me advice.
I am looking to buy a new baby grand preferably under 5'0 and under &6500.Our piano teacher says Yamaha GA1 but a dealer has said it is no good. We like the look of a Steinbach but a dealer says avoid like the plague. A refurbished Samick has also been recommended but quite frankly I am now bewildered by all this contradictory advice. We need it black ,compact and modern looking.All advice appreciated
IAN CAMPBELL
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First thing I would say is what is the dealer selling or trying to sell you it would not be the Samick by any chance !!!

the Yamaha GA1 is their entry level grand for the price they are very good they are made at the Pearl River plant. You do get a 5 year guarantee with the
Yamaha plus the resell value will be better on the Yamaha. I believe the Steinbach are made at the Pearl River plant as well. However, the quality
control is far better on the Yamaha than the Steinbach but at &4950 the Steinbach is also a good buy for your first grand.

As to the restored Samick Hmm not see one I like but that is just me all depends on the price

If you do go for the Yamaha try here, he is meant to be the cheapest 30% of RRP that would take it under your budget http://www.thepianoman.co.uk/new-pianos ... rands.html

At the end of the day it is down to your budget and what you like in a piano both are good entry level pianos the Steinbach will need a bit more prep work than the Yam
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ianccam

What baby grand

Post by ianccam »

Thanks. Very useful

Yes, the guy knocking the Yamaha was the guy pushing the Samick. To be fair, I have since heard from another source that the early Ga1's were built in Japan and were not as good as the current ones made in Indonesia

Thepianoman's price was good but he has extras, like tuning and delivery. I have been able to get a similar price elsewhere but inclusive of these extras, and actually cheaper than the Steinbach. Our only concern is we like the look of the Steinbach and have not yet seen the the Yam in the flesh. At the end of the dayI think we'll go with the Yamaha as it seems to me a bit like buying a BMW rather than a similar priced Hyundai
IAN CAMPBELL
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Who was the cheaper one it is handy to know if others are looking

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ianccam

What Baby Grand ?

Post by ianccam »

Can I tell you when we have placed the order, only they only have one left and I don't want to be beaten to it. I'll let you know next week
IAN CAMPBELL
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Don't blame you also I do know the Piano has or is about to change his prices. He is doing a GA1E at 5,039 inc vat

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ianccam

What Baby Grand ?

Post by ianccam »

The Piano Man charges &150 for delivery and &50 for tuning whereas my source includes all this i his price
IAN CAMPBELL
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What Baby Grand ?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ianccam wrote:The Piano Man charges &150 for delivery and &50 for tuning whereas my source includes all this i his price
Not on all pianos only the cheep uprights on the new prices However, Yamaha have no GA1E in stock in the UK at the moment only what is on shop floors so go for the one you can get

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ianccam

What Baby Grand ?

Post by ianccam »

Try Chris Venables Pianos in Ringwood. Best price I found
IAN CAMPBELL
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »