Yamaha U1 Silent VS Petrof 125

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

win

Yamaha U1 Silent VS Petrof 125

Post by win »

I'm torn between the Yamaha and the Petrof model. Quite frankly, I've not heard abt Petrof till my music teacher recommended the brand to me. I've also tested the piano myself and was indeed quite impressed with its sweet mellow tone. However, the sales person did caution me that maintenance might have to be tighter since I lived near to a reservoir and the humid conditions might affect the wood in a way.

On the other hand, I've always been toying with the idea of getting a silent piano so that I can practise at ease at night and have recently tried the Yamaha U1 Silent and M112T Silent. However, the M112T keypad felt a bit light and similar to my current Yamaha C108. As price is abt the same for both models, I wonder if anyone in this forum would have experience with both brands b4 and can advise me which one i should go for? I'm currently taking my Grade 8 ABRSM Exam.

Thanks loads!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First of all they are both nice makes the Yamaha is better known and a little more constituent in quality control but even Yamaha have their Friday pianos

As to the sales spin about the reservoir that will be the same for both makes and if it is a problem that you can get your tuner to fit a damp chaserto any piano you have

Petrof also have a silent system on request However, this is fitted as a after thought and uses a mechanical system which can add 1g to the touch and can get a bit noisy after time, can be a bit of a pain when playing soft the Yamaha system uses lights so has not got this problem Mind you that could be a fault with the Technics Silent system that I have seen which was used by Petrof they may no longer use that system

If you like the sound of the Petrof I would look in to their Silent system

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
win

Post by win »

Hi Barrie,

Thanks for your sound advice. I didn't know that a silent system can be fitted onto the Petrof till you've enlightened me on that :D

Since both models are good makes, I've decided on the U1 since Yamaha's having a great promotion now.

Cheers!
magriggs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Silent systems not all they're cracked up to be

Post by magriggs »

Unless you're pushed for space, I would recommend buying a separate digital piano rather than going for a "silent" acoustic. I own a Yamaha U3 silent, which is about 2 years old. The action on it, even when the silent system is disengaged, is heavier than any other Yamaha I've played (another U3 and a U1). When the silent system is on, the action is outrageously heavy and inconsistent. It is useless for serious practice above about grade 5.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

This is not normally the case. In fact owing to the fact that the set-off distance is increased, the silent version is usually slightly lighter to play, so you either have a rogue or a badly adjusted one.
magriggs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by magriggs »

Interesting.

How can I get it adjusted? I have a feeling that our usual tuners wouldn't be up to the task.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The action is regulates like any other it just that the set off is set to 4-5 mm instead of 3 the Checking is slightly set back and can give the feel of an heavy action particularly if there is any lost motion. However, the tuner will have to do factory reset on the silent system if action is re regulated not rocket science but you do have to know the key press sequence and Yamaha don’t give that info out to anyone

The main problem with Silent Systems for good players they have less control on the action as the hammer has to travel 2mm more under its own steam that may not seem lot but when you are plying a demanding piece it is

As to the silent system activated, the hammer is been stopped from hitting the string by a bar – over time the padding in the bar becomes compacted and could give you that inconsistent feel

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page