UK v Poland for restoration work

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

UK v Poland for restoration work

Post by longbow »

Does anyone out there have any views on the ammount of pianos that are currently being sent to Poland for restoration. Surely there are technicians here in the UK crying out for the work. Or are there?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I don’t know the amount but there are a few workshops out there doing well out of the UK Price is the main attraction for quite a few retailers take a full rebuild new action, soundboard, plank, strings and a re-polish it can be 2-4K cheaper than having done in the UK but I have to see one that has been finished off to a high standard

There are some outstanding workshops in the UK

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

So what happens if you're not happy with your shiny new Polish restoration then? They're not going to be too willing to take it back and rectify any problems at their expense are they? My advice would be to find a top restoration company in the UK, not one who outsources its work to foreign parts, but one where you are welcome to see your piano at any stage of its restoration, and are even encouraged to do so. Ask around, see examples of their work and chat to existing customers.

In an earlier thread about the restoration of an old Bechstein I said: "Resist the temptation to send it to Poland (many piano shops send pianos there because labour is cheap) where it'll be rebuilt by the same people who about 20 years ago built the crappiest pianos in Europe. Polish restorations look glossy, and at their best are 'workmanlike' but you'll need a skilled tech to put all the rubbish regulation right once it's repatriated. "

In my experience, Polish restos are rather superficial. They're very good at finishing casework and frames to a high standard, but their action work is far poorer than the best that is available in the UK; and look underneath or round the back of a soundboard to see the contrast of the neatly bleached front and the shimmed-up untouched rear. This goes for both SAP and Fiks, both of whom are used extensively by the UK piano trade who oughta know better.

SAP is based in Calisz. I'm not 100% certain, but I'll bet you a pint o' Theak's to a shot of rough Polski vodka that the personnel who once built the Calisia pianos now work at SAP. Calisias were a brave attempt in Commie times, but a bit Grimski-Korsakov to be quite honest. Cheapness was their main selling point. That and being built of plywood so thick that it could protect from gamma radiation in the event of nuclear war. Polish pianos were never good. At least the Czechs had a decent piano industry before Communism took a grip, but I'd guess that having a piano restored in the Czech Republic wouldn't be cheap these days.

I note that a famous London piano retailer now uses Poland exclusively to execute their repairs. I hope then, that it's their own technicians in the UK that are employed to sort out all the shite regulation and voicing, rather than us poor blighters who work on the road. I've just been working on a Polski-Bechstein model A, and the regulation had to be started again from scratch. I noticed also that the beautifully finished frame had masive air bubbles under the paint. The first energetic dusting by my client's cleaning lady and it'll be off in flakes. Still, why should I care? I advised them to get it restored by a splendid firm in Suffolk, but they thought they'd discovered a way of getting the same work done on the cheap.............
bryszu

Post by bryszu »

I'm from Poland,I'm student of technical school of building of pianos in Kalisz in Poland ( here is web site of this school, but only in polish http://tbfkalisz.za.pl )I'm 20 years old. In this school we learn almost everything about pianos, how build it, restoration, polishing.
And now i'm serching a job in UK. Maybe you know some place where could i work.
I have large theoretical knowledge and good practice, If you can halp me i'll be greatfull.
Waiting for your reply.
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

Why don't you come over to Ireland?
There's that many Poles over here, it's like looking into stringfellows thru a kaleidoscope!

I'm guessing the place in Suffolk you mentioned, PG, was Barry & Roberta's place?

......and Barrie, Barrie, dear Barrie, any chance of some punctuation in your replies? Even if only at random intervals. I find your replies fascinating, but very confusing.....esp. when i've had a drink.

drink, feck, :oops:, women.

Cheers piano ppl,
bryszu

Post by bryszu »

Maybe you know some Ireland web site, where can i send e - mail with question about work?
I would be greatfull for this informations.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

tuna wrote: ......and Barrie, Barrie, dear Barrie, any chance of some punctuation in your replies? Even if only at random intervals. I find your replies fascinating, but very confusing.....esp. when i've had a drink.
Could be that I have had a drink as well. More likely the product of 60,s comprehensive schooling. On the one hand some teacher just belted you when you got it wrong, but did not tell how to do it the correct way. Or you have the nuns when you asked a question! They were only interested in if you had attended mass and confession then they belted you with their rosary beads which left a nice pattern on your legs. If I went to Grammars for lunch and she spotted the pattern on my legs I got a belt from her, so I learnt for an early age stay away from Teachers and Nuns

BTW in 1980 I was found to be profoundly dyslexic so no wonder I got it wrong at school

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page