Sticking Keys

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

john martin

Sticking Keys

Post by john martin »

Hi,
I've just bought an Eavestaff royal (seven octave job) which sounds fab. The only problem is that a couple of the keys stick. Is this a major problem or will it be cheap (ish) to fix? Could I get it overhalled or is this going a bit far?

Cheers

John
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

Hi, what has to be isoldated is what is sticking? if it is the key is it at the bat pin (under the front of the keystick) or some mouse droppings stuck inbetween or is it in the Action that the problem lies?

Cost? depends on the piano technician - for me if it is just a quick simple thing then it would be included in the cost of the tuning
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sticking Keys

Post by Barrie Heaton »

john martin wrote:Hi,
I've just bought an Eavestaff royal (seven octave job) which sounds fab. The only problem is that a couple of the keys stick. Is this a major problem or will it be cheap (ish) to fix? Could I get it overhalled or is this going a bit far?

Cheers

John
I would agree with Brian in most cases a sticking key is something and nothing However, with an Eavestaff it can be a little more complex so cost will
be more if action parts have to be removed - removing an Eavestaff action is more time consuming but if it is just the key problem then no more then any other upright with the same problem

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page