RX-3 Kawai VS. 6' 4" Forster

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cheriebatch

RX-3 Kawai VS. 6' 4" Forster

Post by cheriebatch »

Hello, I am wondering if I should buy the Kawai rx-3 or the Forster. The Forster piano per the Larry Fine book is three levels above a Kawaii and I can get it for only double the price. What is a better investment. Do you like the Forster pianos because I don't think people really know much about them here in the USA? The Kawai is around 16000 and the Forster is 30,000.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A difficult one here......

The Kawai will be a good reliable piano.

I have yet to see a new Forster, but my judgement will no doubt be clouded by memories of them being crap East German crates, the Export versions of which (if you were lucky) were equipped with a hastily installed Renner action fitted with fuzzy-felt Bolshevik hammers. If you weren't so lucky, they came with a revolting Pianic or Flemming action complete with inferior plastic components which were no doubt by-products of some secret Communist Chemical warfare experiment. I doubt that they're that bad these days, but in Europe at least, they're still trying to shake off the grim commie image.

A bit like Zimmermann. Now built by Bechstein and no doubt quite respectable, they still recall memories of cheap and not-so-cheerfulness. I'd be surprised if more than thirty are sold per annum in the UK. Probably popular amongst Right-Wing Ostalgics in Chemnitz and Jena who recall the brave era of the 'Democratic' Republic when cars were cardboard, so you relied on the trains.... Which of course always ran on time.

Of course, no East German piano was ever as bad as an American spinet, which is probably why Mr. Fine rates them.

The Kawai then.
cheriebatch

Post by cheriebatch »

Thank you so much for your help!!!!
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Stuart »

I have noticed in my browsings that Americans tend to favour European pianos over Japanese to some extent, whereas UK people tend to be aware of the dodgy history of some European brands. Different perspectives. Having said that and having only ever tried one Forster grand recently (didn't like it), the Kawai is a safe bet. I will confess my bias: I recently bought an RX2, having extensively compared the RX1, 2 and 3 alongside each other. The RX2 suited my room better. All were excellent and similar in sound and I am delighted with the RX2. The action enables me do things I could not do before (and the precision also shows up flaws in my playing that my previous grand hid).

If you like a sweet middle range and a bright treble, the Kawai fits the bill, but as always, it is a personal choice.