What difference between Roland hammer mechanics

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jaromir
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

What difference between Roland hammer mechanics

Post by jaromir »

Does anybody know, what differecne is between Roland "hammer action mechanism" and "weighted hammer action" ? I can test only the first one, pianos with second one are not in store I'm visiting (I'm from Czech Republic, if you'd like to ask for this :),

Jaromir
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

TBH Not sure of the answer directly to your question but different keyboard manufacturers use slightly different mechanisms to simulate the keyboard on a real piano. This is usually achieved by weighted keys, they have lead weights to create some resistance to the key being pressed down while trying to simulate the action of a real piano by means of a mechanism at the back of the keys. I know its a bit vague but you're best to ask as many people as possible.

If you have access to a local school which may have some, try and approach them.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
jaromir
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jaromir »

Yes, but those two names of mechanics which I wrote above are both by Roland, so I thought that someone could know... :)
cwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cwilson »

Weighted hammer action means that the keys are very heavy at the bottom and are lighter as you go down, or the other way around. Normal hammer action doesn't do that. I think that's what it means anyway. So, if you want something similar to the feel of an acoustic piano, I think the best option would be the weighted.
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Have you tried www.rolandus.com ?
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

cwilson wrote:Weighted hammer action means that the keys are very heavy at the bottom and are lighter as you go down, or the other way around. Normal hammer action doesn't do that. I think that's what it means anyway. So, if you want something similar to the feel of an acoustic piano, I think the best option would be the weighted.
I would agree with that statement. The site I mentioned above seems quite informative as well.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
jaromir
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jaromir »

Thank you very much, after much of testing, I'm going to Yamaha CLP-115 probably. I haven't tested Kurweil Mark 1 or 3, which may have excellent keys, but anyway, they are too expensive for me.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jaromir wrote:Yes, but those two names of mechanics which I wrote above are both by Roland, so I thought that someone could know... :)
I would say one is just plan Weighted the more expensive one will try to mimic the after touch you get on a real grand action - so it feels like the real thing

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page