Piano Stories Wanted

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Piano Stories Wanted

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Author seeks piano stories through new website

Author and long-time Southern California piano technician, David Mayfield, has launched a new website,, for the purpose of collecting piano stories for his upcoming book. Mayfield is asking piano professionals (teachers, technicians, retailers, piano movers and artists), and people from all walks of life to contribute their anecdotes and stories involving the piano. According to Mayfield, "All types of submissions are invited, including humorous, human interest or horror stories." For more information, visit the website. www.pianostories.net

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 01 Jun 2006, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

This one has come up on the PTA forums also. Sure I can think of one or two stories.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
danny_teal

My Pianola

Post by danny_teal »

Im not sure if you want a Pianola but anyway;

My pianola is over 50 years old and has sat in their front room for years with the old owners. 5 years ago they wanted to take it out of the room it was in. they found they couldn't and no matter how much they tried to get it out. it wouldn't fit past the door.

they decided that they would take it apart. literally smashing it to pieces. with it being a Pianola there was a lot more parts than in a regular piano.

i have just been given it after it has been left in thier barn in hundreds of pieces for years.

my main aim is to get it up and running again and into its former glory. it is going to be a huge task to undertake and i am really lucking forward to it.
:lol:

thank you for readin my story,
i will give you updates on my progress.
D M Teal
ezeepiano

Piano stories

Post by ezeepiano »

A blind tuner friend/colleague of mine had arranged to meet a new customer where she was to pick him up and take him to her house. When they arrived at her house he was experiencing shall we say, a 'little discomfort' in the trouser area. The customer showed him to the piano and when he decided she was out of sight he decided to make the neccessary adjustments undoing his belt and zip and....... well I'll leave the rest up to the reader. A few moments later, the customer shouted from the kitchen "Im making some tea, would you like some? A little voice just to my colleagues left replied "yes please". Before this she hadn' made a sound.

He describes this as one of his most embarressing moments. There was a piano in there somewhere!

Iain
www.iain-gordon.co.uk
Steinway Trained Piano Tuner/Technician
Bill Kibby

Decrescendo

Post by Bill Kibby »

I think you need to read up on musical terms, crescendo is about getting louder, and decrescendo is the opposite!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info