Piano Makes etc

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

john martin

Piano Makes etc

Post by john martin »

Hi,
I'm still searching for a piano (under 300.00) and I've come across a couple of makes which I need some info on.
1) Eavestaff mini piano - are they good, is there a problem tuning them and is the small Six octave keyboard enough?
2) Chappel upright - are these good? I think I've read some good things about them.
3) I've seen a pic of a 'modern' John Broardwood upright and it looks good appart from having some'ivory' missing from three of the keys on the front. Is this really bad and what could have caused it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get the best I can for my limited funds.

Cheers

John
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

john martin wrote:Hi,
I'm still searching for a piano (under 300.00) and I've come across a couple of makes which I need some info on.
1) Eavestaff mini piano - are they good, is there a problem tuning them and is
the small Six octave keyboard enough?
Depends on the model if it is the Royal fine However known problems are hammer felt coming away other than that nice pianos drop actions see here for photo of a royal http://www.uk-piano.org/history/images/ ... royal.html
john martin wrote: 2) Chappel upright - are these good? I think I've read some good things about them.
Restored a shed full of them depends on age 1920 + tend to be fine know problems bass bridges come unglued and cause bussing in base, tuning pins tend to go loos in the 1930 models 1970 models made by Kembles quite
nice
john martin wrote: 3) I've seen a pic of a 'modern' John Broardwood upright and it looks good appart from having some'ivory' missing from three of the keys on the front. Is this really bad and what could have caused it?

how 'modern' are we taking a few missing ivories in not a problem known problems 1960 1970 they used Bruntons wire stings snap quote a lot, basses tend to go tubby more quickly than other makes of the same age However, when you get a good one they tend to be good and stay in tune well, also restore well Done a shed load of them as well
john martin wrote: Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get the best I can for my limited funds.

Cheers

John
that's what we are here for to help as much as we can the better the piano you buy the easier it is for us to tune

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page