I want my piano to lock

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

I want my piano to lock

Post by quinie »

Can anyone tell me how I can get my piano to lock. There is no key (I have looked in all the usual places and had to whole piano apart to try and find one but no joy). I would like it to lock in the way that it was always supposed to - I don't like the sort of lock that fits over the piano and looks unsightly. I live in Birmingham - any clues as to who I contact for that and how much it would cost?
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

When my new piano arrived the key had been lost (they are usually taped onto a pedal with the bubble-wrap I believe)

Anyway, having asked for a new key from the dealer/manufacturer, I thought I'd try out my locksmithing skills(none). I knew that piano-lock-keys are very basic (the correct term may be single lever?) The local locksmith gave me - free! - two sizes according to a brass rubbing of the hole I made from the piano. He suggested the smaller of the two keys he gave and was right. The length of the barrel doesn't really matter, the diameter does - it has to fit.

Using a 99p junior hacksaw and an old wooden file (three for a pound at a pound shop)I cut and then gradually filed the quarter inch square bit of metal at the end of the round barrel into about half the size, trying it for a fit - and it worked.
That simple - took me twenty minutes.

Good luck

Andy
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There are three common sorts of key; the hollow barrel, the solid barrel, or the triangular. There will be a central spline in the round bit at the top of the keyhole if it's a hollow barrel, no spline if it's a solid key and the hole will be triangular if...well, you get the drift! This is all assuming your piano is an older one, and not a grand; grand keys are usually a breed on their own. Heckschers of Bayham Street Camden Town, London sell them, but don't post under a certain amount (ten quid, I think) so you could ask your piano tuner to get you one - most of us carry them amongst the detritus at the bottom of our tool cases! :lol: S/he'd probably charge you a few quid.
Failing that, a small electric fence or mines under the carpet should keep it secure...but you'd need to remember where the mines were... :shock:
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

security

Post by A440 »

Just run 10.000 volts through the baby, that should keep them off.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: security

Post by PianoGuy »

A440 wrote:Just run 10.000 volts through the baby, that should keep them off.
Way to go!!

PGx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...but mines are more fun; I LIKE loud explosions with my fireworks... :twisted:
although I suppose sparks can be pretty...
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

security

Post by A440 »

I find the delayed action,left-handed, nickle-plated 8 3/4inch nail bombs very effective. Available from Flecther and Newmann (pack of 4 ?7.37).
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and there are many creative and informative things to do with piano wire, of course.