Advice on selling a piano.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

le monster

Advice on selling a piano.

Post by le monster »

I have a piano. It's a Gors & Kallmann which supposedly is from around 1911-1915. It's an upright piano, not a grand one. And now I'm thinking of selling it but I haven't got the faintest on what it could be worth and what price I should put on it. Please help me!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Gat a tuner/technician in to value it; only an on-the-spot examination will show how it is - whether the strings are rusty, bridges are cracked, frame is cracked, soundboard split...all these affect the value. A local tuner will know the local market and may even know of someone looking for a piano just like yours! :wink:
le monster

Post by le monster »

Ok, will do. Nothing, as far as I can see is cracked, and the strings are not rusty.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Late 19th and early 20th century G&Ks are *buggers* for cracking their frames. German metallurgy was appalling at that time. Take a look at the (vertical) break-bar in the iron frame which divides the register of strings in the treble, about 2/3rds along the iron frame. You'll probably need to remove the action, which will be retained either by a couple of metal nuts on an underdamper, or a couple of vicious steel spring clips on an overdamper. Check that vertical bar for fractures.

Gill is right, better still, get that local tuner to do it and give you a valuation at the same time!

:wink: PG