Which Yamaha piano should we buy?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

charlottep

Post by charlottep »

I am going to buy a Yamaha upright piano for my daughter who is going to study music at university. We both like the Yamaha sound. For £2500 we can buy a six year old Japanese-made T121 (American model) from people who are upgrading to a grand.

How does a Japanese-made T121 compare to a NEW U1 and NEW P121? Are we correct in assuming that the T121 is not as good as a U1 but better than P121 and that the prices for new models reflect this?

Are cheaper materials used for the T121 than the U1 or what accounts for the difference in the price?

Are the NEW U1's and NEW P121's made in Japan?

Would I be better paying more for a NEW U1 in order to get a better and more durable piano particularly as my daughter wants to make music her career?

Help much appreciated
Charlotte
22/5/05
charlotte
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

If you like the stark angular styling then the T121 is OK, but a new U1 is far better and will be easier to sell on. The P121 is a prettier piano and is of a similar design to the earlier U1, (without the natty but ugly soft-close fall) but sounds 'thinner' than a current U1. It is cheaper however because of lower grade hammers and simplified casework, but uses the same action and major components as the U1

Your s/h T121 should be cheaper than GBP2500 though.... 2K is a fairer price for a private sale with no warranty or delivery IMHO...

Usually:
New U1s are Japanese if they're polyester finish. If they're satin, they're made in the UK. The P121 is always made in the UK. The T121 is the US equivalent of the P121, and as such is 'seasoned for the US climate' according to the Yamaha US website!

If in doubt, go for the U1. It's the definitive model.

PG
charlottep

Post by charlottep »

Thank you Piano Guy for your prompt and very helpful reply.

Charlotte
charlotte
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Undoubtedly the best yamaha upright on the market is the new 'hand built' SU7, which can be had for slightly under £10k.
But even so it's not my cup of tea; my personal feelings were that it sounded brash and hard, almost a utilitarian cold sound, though nicely balanced over the keyboard. And very loud, ideal for a noisy school assembly. Not a beautiful sound.
I did however like the action feel, which was quite firm and medium-heavy weight.

Andy
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's all down to taste, really, isn't it? Ultimately it boils down to what you like. No piano of the types you mention will be rubbish, so you're safe on that front. I do agree with Andy re the clinical sound of the SU 7; if I were spending ten grand I'd want a warm, vibrant tone - but that's my taste again!
And as for the thing that stops you slamming the lid - how are you supposed to vent your spleen after a bad practice session when Beethoven seems to be streets ahead on points?! :roll:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Well personally if I was given 10K to buy an upright I'd buy a U3 circa 5.5 million serial number (so it's pre that stupid and ugly fall) for about 4K and keep the change. Six grand in change buys you a few concert tickets, a lot of sheet music, a stack of CDs and a half decent sound system to play 'em on. I think it's a combination of folly and self indulgence to spend that much on something as compromised in concept as an upright piano. But hey, that's just my opinion!

I don't think the SUs or the U5 are that much better than the basic U3. The U5 has a foul Americanised case design and the SU7 is good, but not worth that much cash.

Hey ho!

PeeGee!!
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

"and the SU7 is good, but not worth that much cash."

Agreed. I'd get a smaller or secondhand Bechstein/Bluthner/Ibach in preference to any Yamaha.

Andy