Yamaha U3 Pricing and Age- Please Help for Anniversary Gift?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mlai

Yamaha U3 Pricing and Age- Please Help for Anniversary Gift?

Post by mlai »

Hey Mates,

I am about to buy a Yamaha U-3 Upright Piano. The serial number is 186794.

1. How old is this Piano?
2. What does the Nippon Gakki S.K.K. mean?
3. How much does this Piano worth?

Cheers,

Michael
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Subject Moved from History

Age c1962

As to Nippon Gakki S.K.K no idea

Value can’t say will out seeing the piano go to pianos for sale trade and do a search on Yamaha and you will see what they are going for.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think Nippon Gakki just means 'Made in Japan', or that it's a Japanese company. But then we knew that... :) As to price it depends on condition and whereabouts you are. Get a tuner out to have a look - it may save an expensive mistake! :shock:
mlai

Post by mlai »

Thank you for all the responses. We have come down to an agreement to pay $2400 US dollars (or roughly 1836 Euros) for the Piano. There's some minor chips and scratches but all in all, its the cheapest I could find with the condition.

Good buy or mistake?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The price would be fine for the UK if the inside was sound but with out seeing the we could not say it it is a good buy get a tuner to look at it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill Green wrote:I think Nippon Gakki just means 'Made in Japan', or that it's a Japanese company.
"Nippon Gakki" is roughly translated as "Japan Musical Instruments (Company)" You will also see "Kawai Gakki" on the soundboard decal on Kawai pianos, translating as "Kawai Musical Instrument Co."

"Nippon Gakki S.K.K." is the earlier name for Yamaha. I'm afraid I don't know what those initials stand for. The S.K.K. was soon dropped from the frame casting. Later still, the "Nippon Gakki" was dropped, leaving the Yamaha branding only. The earliest examples don't feature the "Three Tuning Fork" logo which was registered in 1934, but a butterfly, but that's going back a fair few years. The resemblance of the tuning fork logo to that of a motorbike wheel is I think coincidental, as the Motor Division was formed in 1955.

Regards

PG