Pinkham Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

AndyM

Pinkham Pianos

Post by AndyM »

I am considering buying a new Pinkham piano, does anyone have any experience of them?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As I understand they are just a badged piano in the name of the pianist they could be made anywhere never seen one myself

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Not quite - they are made by Clive Pinkham in South East Cornwall. Cost about £2500 and built to order. I don't know how they compare to any other make though.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Is he making them from scratch? If he is then it is nice to see some new pianos.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Based around a German mechanism I believe. Very nicely crafted cases.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I take it you mean a Renner action nice I wonder were the backs are form

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
AnonymousBloke
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AnonymousBloke »

I have once tuned a pinkham grand piano and was very unimpressed - for the money that was spent on it they could have bought a Yamaha of a similar size and a much higher spec. I only tuned it once - it wasnt a nice piano and i would not tune it again! That said i have no experience of the uprights!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

No experience with them at all, but according to www.pinkhampianos.com you can rent one for a tenner a week before you buy, delivery to any ground floor UK address for 75 quid. I suspect it's not as simple as that, but it seems like a nice low risk way of seeing whether you want to commit.

AnonymousBloke's comment about the grand prompted me to look at the grand description on that website, which is a bit misleading in that it should more fairly read "Famous named pianos of this size using these component parts can be priced up to (GBP)78,000".... Still, if it's a 7'8" piano and it's as good as he says for 13K then maybe we all should take a look. I don't see how it's possible myself, unless he buys in a Chinese carcass and puts the action and keys in here in the UK, but I'd love to find out. There's probably nowt wrong with that in any case if it's done well.

Maybe AnonymousBloke can shed some more light on the possible origins of the piano?
darrenhempson

pinkham pianos

Post by darrenhempson »

Ive spoke to clive pinkham very long serveral times
and i can usure everyone that his pianos are top of the range and in my expierience and oppinion they beat some yamaha pianos and even steinway its not about what make a piano is but how they are setup and sound ive seen and heard chinese pianos that sound and feel like some of the best german made pianos so i do recomend Pinkham pianos.
Outspan

Re: Pinkham Pianos

Post by Outspan »

My experience of dealing with Clive Pinkham has been a disappointing one. He was recommended to me by my personal tutor, who now, will no longer be recommending his pianos.

After renting a piano from him for over two years, that has been poor in action, tonal qualities and performance. I have recently come to the decision to terminate the rental contract and cancel the order for a built piano that I requested over two years ago!!

While Clive is pleasant and appears to want to do everything he can to assist, he blinds you with his own experiences, I feel it makes it difficult to query any complaints you might have about his instruments.

Unfortunately I've been left feeling dismissed of my own musicianship and my enthuisasm destroyed.

I'm now looking forward to off-loading the piano and purchasing something that suits me and my style!
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I have tuned a few of these pianos. The piano's sound is not inspiring or greatly different from other pianos. The top doors have crafted panels in them which sets them apart from the normal looking modern pianos. If you want to stay British then buy a Kemble cambridge 12 for around Ł2949 but if your looking to buy a pretty looking piano, buy a Reid Sohn/ Samick 112ri as it has inlay, moldings and was highly acclaimed in Music teacher magazine, Ł2200-Ł2800 depending on dealers. Maker sure the dealer has it regulated.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Outspan wrote:
After renting a piano from him for over two years, that has been poor in action, tonal qualities and performance.
Not much to recommend it then?

A bit like the ad I saw last week in the local paper's classifieds:

"Hitachi Flat Screen Colur TV 36" Good Condition. No sound, no picture, hence Ł50.00"
piano_tuner

Pinkham Pianos - excellent value for money

Post by piano_tuner »

I must say I am surprised to read the negative comments written about Pinkham Pianos on this forum. I chose to rent a piano from Mr Pinkham 2 years ago on the recommendation of two people who have now purchased their pianos, and have not a bad word to say about them. My piano continues to play beautifully and I have just placed another order for my daughter. You could always ask for a trial period if you have concerns, I'm sure he would accommodate.
Outspan

PINKHAM PIANOS

Post by Outspan »

"Not much to recommend it then?" :cry:

Definately not, and in response to the following post by piano_tuner, during my last conversation with Clive, he announced to me that he could put any piano into my house and I wouldn't be able to tell difference of it being a good piano or not! :evil:

Perhaps you're just one of those unfortunate people? :wink:

This very promptly ended any more long, drawn out telephone conversations. It certainly left me feeling that he'd betrayed my trust, particularly since I based that on his qualifications and vast experience alone. :x

Of course, I'm may only be one out of many customers whose been completely dissatisfied with his service; I was naive and foolish to think that his history base was enough alone. My Advice, don't use his service!

Needless to say, i'm now a proud owner of a beautiful upright Yamaha. :D
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

"Hitachi Flat Screen Colur TV 36" Good Condition. No sound, no picture, hence Ł50.00"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've found in life you do generally tend to get what you pay for:

Andy
piano_tuner

Pinkham Pianos

Post by piano_tuner »

Well, my daughter has received her piano and it is wonderful, I must say. She is over the moon. :D

Worth remembering, we can't all afford Yamaha, Steinway etc. Clive provides a product in a certain price range. He has made piano playing accessible to my family, and many others, and I thank him for that.
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

"Well, my daughter has received her piano and it is wonderful, I must say. She is over the moon. "

Getting a new piano that you really love is a joyous event. Hope you sing a few carols round it soon.

Regards

Andy
senzadolce

Re: PINKHAM PIANOS

Post by senzadolce »

My family and I have had a Pinkham Piano for 10 yrs. My Wife and Daughter play the piano, and I use it for teaching.
I have rather enjoyed reading about this topic. If a serious student has a problem with this make of piano, try another.
The Pinkham piano is an excellent upright for its price bracket.
If you can afford more... then pay more. Many students and home players will get alot of pleasure from these instruments.
My singing students really like to be accompanied by this piano compared to other makes. Our upright is very good. :D
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Your banter makes you sound like a proper musician! 'Difficult'. :lol:

Outspan wrote:"Not much to recommend it then?" :cry:

Definately not, and in response to the following post by piano_tuner, during my last conversation with Clive, he announced to me that he could put any piano into my house and I wouldn't be able to tell difference of it being a good piano or not! :evil:

Perhaps you're just one of those unfortunate people? :wink:

This very promptly ended any more long, drawn out telephone conversations. It certainly left me feeling that he'd betrayed my trust, particularly since I based that on his qualifications and vast experience alone. :x

Of course, I'm may only be one out of many customers whose been completely dissatisfied with his service; I was naive and foolish to think that his history base was enough alone. My Advice, don't use his service!

Needless to say, i'm now a proud owner of a beautiful upright Yamaha. :D
Outspan

Post by Outspan »

'Difficult' - Not really... given that I waited two years for a piano that was suppose to take a 1 year at the most; gulliable in giving someone the benefit of the doubt too many times! :(

"Worth remembering, we can't all afford Yamaha" Absolutely, I couldn't agree more, that's why I went to Clive in the first place; but in hindsight obviously, what I wasted in rental and what i'll have paid as the remainder, effectively would have bought Yamaha for the same price as his built pianos! How ironic! But of course in reality, I'm reaping the costs! :oops:

Good hunting!
Rob M

Pinkham Pianos

Post by Rob M »

We took out a hire-purchase-type agreement on a new Pleyel Piano. We later rented a Pinkham Piano as we were not entirely satisfied with the Pleyel.We have now decided to return the Pleyel to the dealer for the following reasons -:
While having powerful sonority, particularly in the bass register, we found the Pleyel harsh in tone and difficult to control in soft playing (a view also endorsed by a visiting ABRSM examiner). In contrast, Clive Pinkham's Piano had a properly adjusted action and has a mellow tone which many modern pianos lack.
I took a Licentiate Diploma last April - the piano which I trusted for my preparations was the Pinkham!