Yamaha U1J or B3 regulation specs

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Elias97

Yamaha U1J or B3 regulation specs

Post by Elias97 »

Hello,
I have a yamaha U1J bought about 10 years ago. I was tinkering with the mechanism inside trying to find better sounding for my room but I couldn't find any good adjustments. I then found a paper with yamaha's piano regulation specifications and I regulated everything with these specs.
There wasn't any "U1J" piano there, only U1-U7. I followed instructions for U1, but I don't think that it was correct because the keys are too heavy. It's to heavy to a point that it isn't playable.
I went to my music store today, and I tried every yamaha U1 I could find there. Everything was nice and smooth to play. I talked to the manager there and he told me that the model U1J doesn't exist anymore and it's replaced by B3 that has the same characteristics.

So I'm asking, is there any regulation manual for U1J or B3?

(PS) I know I can call a piano technician, but I would like to try first for educational purposes.
(PS 2) I also know how to tune it, and I'm tuning it by myself all these years.

Thank's in advance!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha U1J or B3 regulation specs

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The regulating specs are the same as the U1. However, (sadly there's always one of them in life). Regulating specifications are guidelines for new Pianos if your piano has had a lot of playing, and say the hammers have been re-faced. Then the book goes out of the window. All down to Hammer Key ratios.

So you may have 47mm to 10mm in the book, but in your case, 45 to 10.5mm works better. Years of experience tell the technician what works best for that piano, not a book because you have wear and tear to take into account.

The end of the day it's not what the rule says it's how it feels that's the most important part.

My advice did you hand in your pocket and pay for a technician to sort it out.

Have a wonderful weekend and all the best for the New Year.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page