Moving piano to London - is it worth it?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Berria

Moving piano to London - is it worth it?

Post by Berria »

Good morning,
I have a piano in Spain and I am considering moving it to my home in London. The piano is a Kawai CX-21H, bought about 25 years ago. It is in very good condition.
I have been quoted 1500€ to move the piano from Spain to London.
I have no idea of the value of this piano.
Can someone advise if moving the piano to London is worth it or it would be better to buy a new or used piano in London?
I want to bring the piano to London for my kids to learn to play the piano.
Thanks in advance!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Moving piano to London - is it worth it?

Post by chrisw »

Hello Berria,
I think that only you can make that decision because it has to take into account how much you like the piano and perhaps how much you are prepared to spend on a replacement. I had not heard of a Kawai CX-21H model before but there is information about them on the net. If you like how this piano plays and the way it sounds then that is a reason to have it transported and then keep it. If you do bring it to the UK and then decide to trade it in I can only guess based from my own experience of enquiring about trading in my own 26 year old upright that you could be offered in the region of £1000 against a new piano so that might be reason for selling it in Spain. A thirty or forty year old reconditioned secondhand upright from a dealer is likely to be upwards of £2000 unless offered in some sort of sale.

Good luck.