Considering buying a Welmar

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tomdle

Considering buying a Welmar

Post by tomdle »

Hi all,

I'm in the market for an upright, and I'd like to be confident that I'm spending my money wisely. I'm an OK pianist, about grade 8 standard and unlikely to get much better, so I don't need anything brilliant. But I would like to buy a good piano that will last me for years and on which I can teach my kids when they're old enough.

I've seen this Welmar being sold by Park Pianos in Manchester. It's a lot cheaper than the Welmars I've seen in shops in my area, which piques my interest. The colour would also go nicely in my living room.

Please can you experts tell me whether this seems a sensible purchase to you? I can't go and try the piano myself, so I would be relying on the reputation of the maker and of the seller. Have any of you dealt with Park Pianos, and if so, would you trust them not to sell a dodgy instrument? Are there any steps you would take before taking the plunge and buying an instrument you haven't been able to play or inspect yourself?

Thank you in advance for your help.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Considering buying a Welmar

Post by chrisw »

Welmar is a good make. I haven't visited Park Pianos but have known about them for quite a few years and would certainly be willing to visit them if I was in the market for a new piano.
On their website they are offering this Welmar with a three year warranty so that seems reasonable. Give them a ring and ask about how the piano plays, its tone and get them to vouch for its condition. It is also £300 more on their website than on your ebay listing. If you are interested in this piano I wouldn't delay in telephoning them.
tomdle

Post by tomdle »

Thank you for your thoughts. Between your reply, the opinion of a piano tuner and restorer local to the shop, and a video of it being played, I've decided to go for it. I'm excited! I haven't lived in a house with a piano for over a decade.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Congratulations, I hope you will enjoy it. Please let us know when it arrives.