Schumann Piano Help

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

TUAN

Schumann Piano Help

Post by TUAN »

Hi looking for advice on a piano we have recently viewed.

Current owner imported the piano from abroad and has sat with very little use for the last few years.

Make is Schumann and purports to be "Made in England” which is also stencilled on the fall and cast into the Iron Frame, also noted as "Tropicalised", has a Langer 80 Action.
Owner has had in it from new a small tubular heater (as was originally sold new in a humid country) and always had it turned on. Been in the UK for circa 10 years and receipt shows purchased new in the mid 1990's abroad.

Generally, seems to be in good condition / lowest key sticks / assume needs lubrication / regulation generally / couldn't see any obvious action faults (to the untrained eye).

Sound board appears to be absent of cracks / bridges seem in order (at least middle and base ones, the trebles hidden from view) / hammers some minor indentation but nothing too concerning seems to show little use since owners children left home / not tuned in several years and surprisingly only a few notes off a little (wife is a professional musician) / no evidence of any insect damage / repetition seems a little hesitant (wife says all uprights are this way) / wippens (little cords not sure of the name ?) all present and correct.

What I find odd is the "Made in England" as I am unable to find any UK manufacturer in my searches of the internet only a Chinese piano company, not against this provided in the right era of production and price reflects this.

Another point is the underside of the keyboard supporting structure appears to be MDF with a spray of brown stain not sealed / veneered (I originally trained as a furniture maker) which would give concern if truly Tropicalised with my knowledge of the swelling ability of MDF !

The price is not too expensive just over £1,000 when compared to a dealer but factoring in a Tuner to do a report first / having it moved from their first floor and our first floor flat / regulated and tuned it will be a reasonable investment and maybe not be far off dealer pricing at the more budget used end .. at least that’s the debate we are having in the family !

Anyone have any experience of this brand / know any more about its origin / is my gut feeling (slight caution) deceiving me ?

Thanks
Andy
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Schumann Piano Help

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi Andy,

In general, make is irrelevant when it comes to secondhand pianos it's how the piano has been looked after.

Chipboard and MDF is not uncommon on Pianos from the 70s onwards, even on expensive brands.

I would recommend you get a local tuner to do an inspection, they can advise you whether it's worth the expense of moving the piano and servicing it.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I would be encouraged that it has a British made Langer action.
TUAN

Post by TUAN »

Hi

Thanks for your replies / having a local tuner do a report on it for us today, do you think it could be "Made in England" or could this be some false "Marketing" by the original manufactuerer ?

Thanks
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I think it most unlikely that the origin of the frame and/or the naming of the action would be misrepresented. It is possible that the keys may also have been produced by the Langer company and if so there is likely to be a stamp on the lowest white key showing the name Herrberger Brooks, Long Eaton, Nottingham. I have just bought a new German car but on cleaning it yesterday I noticed the interior mats were made in Poland and the same is true for piano manufacturers that they acquire parts from many different countries. I hope this piano gets a good bill of health...please let us know how it turns out.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

TUAN wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 11:54 Hi

Thanks for your replies / having a local tuner do a report on it for us today, do you think it could be "Made in England" or could this be some false "Marketing" by the original manufactuerer ?

Thanks
stencil Pianos were very common in the 1900s even today I can buy a piano from China and put whatever name I like on it providing it doesn't conflict with trading standards. In the 1900s we didn't have trading standards.

A company in Lancashire in the 80s had a piano called Luther and the L was very decorative and looked like a "B", trading standards jumped all over them and said this was misleading.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page