Let-off regulation questions

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Bernie29

Let-off regulation questions

Post by Bernie29 »

1. The let-off adjustment screws are very difficult to reach on my Bentley Compact 85. I made an adjuster (out of an old steel badminton racquet) but it's really hard to squeeze in among all the gubbins. Am I doing this right? Do you have to remove anything before adjusting let-off?

2. Maybe the problem is that the shaft of my homemade tool is too wide (it's only 7mm!) and I need one with a very thin (flexible?) shaft?? But I couldn't find where to buy one, which is why I made one. Where can I buy one?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Let-off regulation questions

Post by Barrie Heaton »

This is what you need to look at
https://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/index ... tail&p=258

Before you do the set-off, you should make sure that there is no lost motion, the depth of touch is correct at 9.5mm but as this is an old piano 10mm will work better. Unless you going to regulate the set-off by just lifting the bottom sections.

3mm is the correct set-off for a Bentley if the blow is between 45 and 47 mm; checking should be around 12-15 mm

Rule of thumb measurements tends to be a guideline for new Pianos, old Pianos that are warm it's whatever works.

Barrie
(sat here dying of man flu but not C O V id)
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Hope you are feeling better soon Barrie.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Long time since I've had a cold and a head cold that I had to cancel today's tunings also, tomorrow's tunings. Unfortunately, I've got to prep a piano on Wednesday morning for a concert in Preston.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page