B. Squire baby grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Hilda64

B. Squire baby grand

Post by Hilda64 »

I’m a returning novice , in my early 60s . I reached Grade 5 but gave up due to financial reasons and having a terrible piano !
I’m nearing retirement and my reward to myself for working for 42 years is to buy myself a reasonably decent piano ! Im looking up to about 4/5k and am considering a new cheaper end piano maybe a Feurich or Kawai , but then I’ve seen a few used baby grands in particular a B. Squire and am wondering if they will give a better sound ? As you can tell by my post , I am fairly clueless as to what is a ‘good buy’. Do baby grands that have been refurbished by a reputable dealer give a better sound than say a new cheaper model . Any advice will be much appreciated . Thank you 😊
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: B. Squire baby grand

Post by Barrie Heaton »

B. Squire, were not great Pianos when they were made, they have a single escapement playing mechanism so no advantage over an upright.

You need to take the tuner to look at secondhand pianos specially Pianos made in the 30s onwards as they can become a bit of a money pit.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Hilda64

Post by Hilda64 »

Thank you for replying , it’s hard to know who’s a reputable dealer and who would just sell anything . Taking a tuner with me sounds like good advice .
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

All dealers have to abide by trading standards and the piano has to be fit for its purpose. Fit for purpose means to be tuned to concert pitch and hold its tune for a reasonable period of time.

As to the tuner to seeing the piano the is normally only done on private sales.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Hilda64

Post by Hilda64 »

Thanks Barrie, it’s at Shackletons , so should be ok . Still undecided though , I’m not on a big budget . Am currently writing a list of pianos that are worth considering and ones to avoid!